PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Authorization window no longer showing up, can't mount disks/install software

majingrim
July 13th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Hi all, i'm fairly new to ubuntu, and linux in general, but I've been loving it since i installed it a few weeks ago, and i haven't used Windows since! Usually i can find someone who has the same problem as me and figure out how to fix it, but i think something i did today screwed up something important.

Something i did caused Ubuntu to stop showing the Authorization window from coming up whenever i go to mount a drive or Add/Remove software. I can no longer mount anything other than my USB external drive and the partition that Ubuntu is installed on. All the other partitions were working fine until this happened, now i can't access them. When i click to mount them, nothing happens at all. Same thing if i try to open the Partition Editor, just nothing at all.

At one point i went to the terminal as root and changed the permissions of the /usr/local folder all to my username. I meant to do /usr/local/games, but i slipped up.. so i went back and changed everything but the games folder to root. Not sure if this had anything to do with it or not, but it was around the same time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, probably just some stupid mistake i made or something.

Thanks!