PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Movie Player Doesn't Play Well With Others

lile001
July 13th, 2009, 12:24 AM
When I insert a movie into my DVD player, and "Movie Player" starts up, I get an error message saying "Could Not Open Location - you might not have permission to open the file".

Using Jaunty 9.04, pretty much out of the box. I'm really jonesing to see a movie - how can I give myself rights to use the DVD player?

lile001
July 13th, 2009, 12:27 AM
When I insert a movie into my DVD player, and "Movie Player" starts up, I get an error message saying "Could Not Open Location - you might not have permission to open the file".

Using Jaunty 9.04, pretty much out of the box. I'm really jonesing to see a movie - how can I give myself rights to use the DVD player?

And yes I went through https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu and did all the steps there.

philinux
July 13th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Click the restrictedformats link too.

lile001
July 14th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Click the restrictedformats link too.

?? Well, I clicked on restricted formats, did a bunch of stuff, and the same problem remains. I also installed a package called VLC, which just dissappears when I tell it to start a movie from /media/cdrom0. I don't think we are anywhere close to on the right track.

Why would I not have rights to use my DVD player? This makes no sense.

lile001
July 14th, 2009, 03:01 AM
?? Well, I clicked on restricted formats, did a bunch of stuff, and the same problem remains. I also installed a package called VLC, which just dissappears when I tell it to start a movie from /media/cdrom0. I don't think we are anywhere close to on the right track.

Why would I not have rights to use my DVD player? This makes no sense.

If I try to use GNOME Mplayer, the movie actually plays, but without subtitles (it has them). Why would this play, when 'Movie Player" thinks it cannot access that disk?

alpinescrambler
June 26th, 2010, 05:44 PM
As a fellow Ubuntu noob and video viewer, I've found that VLC Media Player is a lot more cooperative than Movie Player. Movie Player works - you just have to stop and spend an hour or so on every other DVD to figure out it's individual settings for that particular disc. I just gave up and switched to VLC.

madmax75
June 26th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I use Kaffeine to watch my DVD's. I find it working better than the other options, most of the time.