PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] export GPG keys?

nynoah
July 13th, 2009, 12:13 AM
How do I export GPG keys on my system. I want to do a fresh install but don't want to lose those keys. It will save me the time of relooking for all the extra repos that I have added.

Thanks

Why is it that I can never get help? What is it. I have had like 10 un answered threads in the last year.

nynoah
July 13th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Bump.......... help? I have the repos from BT4 and I don't want to lose them. I can't remember how I got them to work but I do.

lindsay7
July 13th, 2009, 03:11 AM
This is a great write up and may save you some time.

http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7418021

nynoah
July 13th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Great post......... i scanned it and nothing about what I was asking. I am just going to reinstall and worry about it later. I am itching to try Ultimate edition 2.2 :) So off for another 5 hours wasted reconfiguring my rig. But its fun and free.

lindsay7
July 13th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Just copy the key numbers down somewhere, you just need the last 8 digits.

Here is how you add them, where is says KEY put in the key number xxxxxxxx

gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv KEY

gpg --export --armor KEY | sudo apt-key add -

Here is the info from another post

Re: No_pubkey
That is asking you for the public key to that repository. In linux you will see lots of people sign programs,emails, etc with a public key. Some repositories have a public key which you need to download to access. There are a few pages on wikipedia about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography
All you need to know is the process to use when you see that. This is the template
Code:

gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv KEY
gpg --export --armor KEY | sudo apt-key add -

When you get an error message, replace the word "KEY" with the numbers in the eror message. For your error you would enter this command
Code:

gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv F120156012B83718

After you press enter and it sends the command, you would enter the second line
Code:

gpg --export --armor F120156012B83718 | sudo apt-key add -

After that, the key will be added to a list and the error will not appear.