PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install most used programs after fresh install from command line

powel212
July 12th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Here is a little command line to run after you have installed a fresh copy of Ubuntu. These are my most commonly used, installed programs. I made this little command line install because I help a lot of folks get their first Ubuntu install up and running and this little tool simplifies the process for me.

First make sure you have your system updates up to date with

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Then in a terminal run

sudo apt-get -y install ntfs-config system-config-samba compizconfig-settings-manager ubuntu-restricted-extras banshee pysdm devede wine gkrellm smplayer vlc xvidcap soundconverter krita epiphany-browser gmail-notify deluge kflickr digiKam gparted preload libdvdread4

Once that is done there is one more step to enable DVD playback

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

If you see anything in the list that is not for you just delete the word/s from the command line. Alternatively you can use synaptic or add/remove. All of these programs are in the repos.

Have fun

Powel

Descriptions;

ntfs-config allows you to mount ntfs drives
system-config-samba file sharing manager
compizconfig-settings-manager manage desktop effects
ubuntu-restricted-extras lets you use mp3s and much more
banshee music player
pysdm mounting volumes tool (edit fstab)
devede make your avi movies into dvds
wine run windows programs
gkrellm system temperature monitor and more
smplayer movie player
vlc movie player
xvidcap screen video capture
soundconverter convert wave to mp3 or whatever
krita photo editor
epiphany-browser light web browser
gmail-notify notifies of new email
deluge torrent engine
kflickr upload to flickr
digiKam edit .raw files
gparted partition editor
preload preload commonly used programs for a faster computer. Great if you have a lot of ram
libdvdread4 Enable dvd support

powel212
July 12th, 2009, 09:54 AM
BTW I did not include Virtualbox here because it requires adding Repos but it is absolutely worth taking the extra 3 minutes to install.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

P

Ji Ruo
July 14th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Thanks for posting this. At the moment I'm installing and configuring kubuntu on PCs for a community group, and this list has been useful to go through.