PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Portable Hard Drive Maxtor 320GB Portable

marym
July 12th, 2009, 09:33 AM
A real beginner's question. I am using Ubuntu 9.04. I want to back up my music files onto a portable hard disc. Will the Maxtor 320GB portable work? The spec page on the Argos website only quotes that other company and Mac OS.

Orographic
July 12th, 2009, 09:37 AM
It should be fine mate, just make sure you unmount your drive after you have copied your files over before you pull that usb connector out or better still, turn off your computer first.

A lot of devices are not stated as working with Linux but they work perfectly fine.

andrew.46
July 12th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hi marym,

A real beginner's question. I am using Ubuntu 9.04. I want to back up my music files onto a portable hard disc. Will the Maxtor 320GB portable work? The spec page on the Argos website only quotes that other company and Mac OS.

I would be a little surprised if you had any trouble. I have a 320gig Western Digital USB drive (Passport Elite) which I simply plugged in and started transferring files straight away. The file system will probably be FAT32 (this was the case with mine) which is easily recognisable under Ubuntu although this will come with the limitation of 4gig file size.

@ Orographic: Good to see another Blue Mountains dweller here :-).

All the best,

Andrew

marym
July 12th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Thank you both. I can now go and purchase with confidence.