PDA

View Full Version : Mac Os X refund? (ala windows refund?)

==Troy==
July 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I have already succeeded at refunding Windows OS once with a vendor, but now I am curious (since I am planning to buy a mac soon) if it is possible to request a refund for the Mac OS X, and are there any EULA statements for that case? Or did anyone have any experience with doing this already?

Thank you in advance.

I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong thread, but it is the only apple thread I found on the forum.

lukjad007
July 11th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I doubt it. And if you did it would still not be worth it since Apple is a hardware company that just happens to have an OS that runs on its products. Microsoft is a software company that just happens to have hardware that runs its OS.

==Troy==
July 11th, 2009, 11:56 AM
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC094Z/A/Mac-OSX-Leopard#overview

The system has monetary value. The question is if it has anything in the EULA about refunds or about NO refunds :)

lukjad007
July 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC094Z/A/Mac-OSX-Leopard#overview

The system has monetary value. The question is if it has anything in the EULA about refunds or about NO refunds :)
What I mean is, why buy a Mac is you don't want a Mac? You are paying more for the name, the software, and the OS/Hardware that are fine tuned with each other. Why would you pay triple for something that you don't really want?

==Troy==
July 11th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I like the way it looks, I dont like the OS, its that simple. I am buying a mac pc, not the mac os, in the same way you can reason why am I buying dell if I dont want to have Windows, although those two are fine tuned too.

MikeTheC
July 11th, 2009, 12:49 PM
IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE, DO NOT USE THE SOFTWARE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THE LICENSE, YOU MAY RETURN THE APPLE SOFTWARE TO THE PLACE WHERE YOU OBTAINED IT FOR A REFUND. IF THE APPLE SOFTWARE WAS ACCESSED ELECTRONICALLY, CLICK "DISAGREE/DECLINE". FOR APPLE SOFTWARE INCLUDED WITH YOUR PURCHASE OF HARDWARE, YOU MUST RETURN THE ENTIRE HARDWARE/SOFTWARE PACKAGE IN ORDER TO OBTAIN A REFUND.
Um, no. You're not going to get a refund on the OS.

==Troy==
July 11th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Um, no. You're not going to get a refund on the OS.

Could you please elaborate? Why exactly? Is there a statement in EULA about it?

Many vendors say the same thing about Windows, but I do not mind to even take this to court if needed.

MikeTheC
July 11th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Could you please elaborate? Why exactly? Is there a statement in EULA about it?

Many vendors say the same thing about Windows, but I do not mind to even take this to court if needed.

Um, dude, did you actually *read* my post? Notice anything above the text of mine you quoted? It's kind of spelled out for you in black and white.

==Troy==
July 11th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Um, dude, did you actually *read* my post? Notice anything above the text of mine you quoted? It's kind of spelled out for you in black and white.

Sorry my bad, I just assumed you quoted my last post, not the license agreement, thank you.

Neobuntu
November 29th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Um, let me breath some light into this thread. This is just my opinion.

You darn well should, be able to get an amount back, for OS-X alone, if you never boot it! This amount would be limited to what you can buy OS-X for, as complete. Which may or may not be much. See, you never agreed to the EULA!

This underscores the blatant and obvious problem of choice; when buying(or not buying) a computer, and an OS. Ubuntu serves, as proof positive, that hardware need not be strictly tied, to its operating system.

Therefore, you should make a case; that you paid for the system, and not the useless (to you) OS. If Microsoft has to give back their monopoly money, then so does Apple!

This should be won, and promoted! It may start the honest practice of selecting from a number of operating systems, (or none), and better open-compatibility, of each device! Including the darn things, actually costing LESS; without an over priced, over bloated, OS.

People often get confused, about the governments role in such matters. The government manages no "programs" well. The government, and by extension, the police, can enforce good and moral laws, to protect us. They can do this in a manner that requires little effort, due to the consequences. All we need, is more of us to stand up, at the same time, and make it a law. Unfortunately, money, and large amounts of it, are in play among those who claim, to represent us.

Lets here it, for real competition!

Why are we even allowing the insane, status quo?

untmdsprt
November 30th, 2010, 06:05 AM
I like the way it looks, I dont like the OS, its that simple. I am buying a mac pc, not the mac os, in the same way you can reason why am I buying dell if I dont want to have Windows, although those two are fine tuned too.

Well that's a first!!!!! So you're saying that PCs aren't cool enough to buy so you need to buy a Mac to put whatever os on it? You must be rolling in the dough if you can justify that statement!

DoubleClicker
November 30th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Um, let me breath some light into this thread. This is just my opinion.

You darn well should, be able to get an amount back, for OS-X alone, if you never boot it! This amount would be limited to what you can buy OS-X for, as complete. Which may or may not be much. See, you never agreed to the EULA!

This underscores the blatant and obvious problem of choice; when buying(or not buying) a computer, and an OS. Ubuntu serves, as proof positive, that hardware need not be strictly tied, to its operating system.

Therefore, you should make a case; that you paid for the system, and not the useless (to you) OS. If Microsoft has to give back their monopoly money, then so does Apple!

This should be won, and promoted! It may start the honest practice of selecting from a number of operating systems, (or none), and better open-compatibility, of each device! Including the darn things, actually costing LESS; without an over priced, over bloated, OS.

People often get confused, about the governments role in such matters. The government manages no "programs" well. The government, and by extension, the police, can enforce good and moral laws, to protect us. They can do this in a manner that requires little effort, due to the consequences. All we need, is more of us to stand up, at the same time, and make it a law. Unfortunately, money, and large amounts of it, are in play among those who claim, to represent us.

Lets here it, for real competition!

Why are we even allowing the insane, status quo?

You are missing out on a vital distinction, between MS Windows and MacOSX. When you buy a computer from Dell, HP or other vendors, they license MS Windows for a fee, and pass that fee on to you, so you are paying for MS Windows, if you have a computer without an OS, you can license MS Windows and install it on that computer.

Mac OS X is not licensed separately, but as a component of the Macintosh computer (in fact, Steve once said, that if you remove Mac OSX from a mac and only run another operating system, you are violating the license) If you don't own a Mac, you can't license Mac OS X. If you go to a software store, and see a box with OS X, that is ONLY licensed as upgrade, and you are paying an upgrade fee for it. So if you bought a mac you can only get a refund for the OS by getting a refund for the Hardware, but if you purchase an upgrade you can, you can get a refund for the upgrade fee, by returning the uninstalled upgrade.

MisterGaribaldi
December 1st, 2010, 03:17 PM
It's not a matter of how things "should" be, sadly. Like the dude quoted above, the only option you have with Apple products is to return the entire thing. Apple treats the combination of hardware+software as what is often called "a solution".

If you are going to do business with Apple, you'll have to play by their rules. If you don't want to play by their rules, don't do business with them. It's just that simple. Besides, maybe not for laptops, but for desktops there are some very nice, high-end cases and such you can get and BYO.

Neobuntu
December 16th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Besides being a very good reason, for not doing business with Apple, and besides being current reality, it's still smoke and mirrors. We should be able to buy Mac hardware (not that it's always better, it's the principle), for (really) less than the software, too. This could only be implemented by forced software refund. Apple (and all) should be made to offer a choice. It's simply, anti-competitive otherwise.

Just think, what if ALL, computers did this? Then where would we be? I agree, however, who is going to change, if we do not collectively demand better?

Just one of the great facades, where most people do not get it. It's the greater fool theory, and it's all about education.

I agree, the problem is, we generally do not have a clue, what we are really buying; even our own, lock-in. It's just foolish, Plain and simple. It's one of those things, where you go tell a crowd, and they just look at you funny. This is the only reason, it exists. Choice is rarely valued, until it is limited, or completely gone. Then, it's an up hill battle, to say the least.

They idea, that Apple has a "right", to do such, is the problem. Due to the very nature of any OS, competition should be law. Written with such penalty, such that there is no cost to enforce it. This is not terrible government management, it is enforcement of good law. This will continue to slip through the cracks, until people collectively decide, to set the OS free. Now, why would they do this? Indeed? This is where most people(which are mostly non-technical) must believe, in better alternatives.