PDA

View Full Version : Sticking with Ubuntu

skull_leader
January 24th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Hey everyone.
I've been trying out Linux distros for about a month now, and now I'm pretty sure these are the forums I want to indroduce myself to.

I'm your average Windows-user who doesn't even know how to eject a floppy in OSX. I know you guys are above MS-trashing so I'll go easy, but my mindframe since about 1994 was "I hate Windows... but what options do I really have?" Not too long ago I chanced upon the GPL (I think I ran OSS through Acronym Finder, or something). Since then, I haven't stopped reading.

After looking around some KDE and Gnome screenshots, I decided to break out an old 6 gigger and try out Linux. So far I've played around on Ubuntu, Mandrake, Fedora, Knoppix, DSL, and attempted to install Gentoo --maybe someday...

I don't want to be a fanboy. But in just about every category Ubuntu is King! Right now I have my desktop organized to be like 3 times more ergonomic than Windows. Now, I get frustrated at it a lot, but I know it's just a matter of breaking in a new enviornment. Most of the time what bugs me... all the tools I have to learn just to do things I'm used to just clicking, like monitor settings. Eventually I'm gonna appreciate the autonomy, though.

Anyway. I just wanted to share my experience and say one of the big reasons I chose Ubuntu was the community.

maruchan
January 24th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Welcome Skull Leader! It was good to read your experience.

Now, I get frustrated at it a lot, but I know it's just a matter of breaking in a new enviornment. Most of the time what bugs me... all the tools I have to learn just to do things I'm used to just clicking, like monitor settings. Eventually I'm gonna appreciate the autonomy, though.

You're really on-target with the "breaking in" thing. It does take time, and you will notice a difference with practice. The autonomy is a very good feeling too, eh? :)

briancurtin
January 24th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Right now I have my desktop organized to be like 3 times more ergonomic than Windows. Now, I get frustrated at it a lot, but I know it's just a matter of breaking in a new enviornment.
i have to start breaking in windows again (my job at school is all on windows, but we use a bunch of OSS tools so that makes me happy) because im so used to linux, most recently WindowMaker as my window manager. i found myself double clicking on the title bar of applications, hoping it would roll up (does this in GNOME too), but of course i was just making the application full screen or minimized.

its amazing what 7 months of almost 100% linux will do to your first full day back after your 10 years of windows experience.

drizek
January 24th, 2006, 07:44 AM
one of the big reasons I chose Ubuntu was the community.

Several years ago the community was one of the main reasons people stopped using linux. Today id say the community is the #1 reason people stick to linux. Without these forums, so many noobs would be totally lost and give up at the first hurdle.