PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 Dell XPS m1530 Wireless Fix

K_REY_C
July 10th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I have a Dell XPS m1530 with this wireless card:

Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n

I was having terrible trouble getting the wireless card to even be recognized and operational. There is a switch on the side of the computer which, in Vista, controlled both wireless and bluetooth, but in Ubuntu 9.04 only seemed to control bluetooth.

After scouring the forums and trying a number of different things I found this web page (https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/74180) which has, so far, been the solution to my inability to connect. I've copy/pasted here for clarity.

Mark Rijckenberg said on 2009-06-14:

Hi,

Please first connect your network card to the wireless router using an ethernet cable (also known as a LAN cable).

Then please follow this procedure:

Step 1: Open Terminal from "Applications->Accessories->
Terminal"

Step 2: Run the following commands (copy-paste the lines below into a Terminal, press enter after each line)

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
sudo aptitude install linux-backports-modules-jaunty

Step 3: Run the following command

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

# Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf:

blacklist ssb

Step 4: Run the following command

gksudo gedit /etc/modules

# Add the following 2 lines to the /etc/modules file:

wl
wl0

Step 5: Save changes, reboot pc and retest wireless

Step 6: If wireless still does not work after this reboot, please resend output of the following command:

sudo lshw -C network; sudo iwlist scanning; cat /etc/network/interfaces; cat /etc/lsb-release; lspci -nn; lsusb; uname -a; dmesg | grep ound; dmesg | grep b43; iwconfig

Regards,

Mark

I have no idea if this is the appropriate place for this or not, so please forgive if it isn't. I just wanted to post what worked for me after a tireless search. If, however, I encounter problems with this method I'll let you know in the future.

Also, if others who actually understand what the commands listed are doing (I don't) and there are problems with this method please do post below.

superprash2003
July 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM
post output of the following from the terminal
1)lshw -C network
2)iwconfig
3)sudo iwlist scanning

NeatBee
July 11th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Wow I'm a noob and I managed to get it working. Great post. Thanks

K_REY_C
July 24th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Dell XPS M1530
Dual Boot Vista 64-bit / Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo
6 GB ram

There seems to be a problem – perhaps unrelated but I offer it here just in case.

Wireless had been working flawlessly until this morning. I boot up, no wireless. I reboot and get the following message:

Could not start the X server (your graphical environment) due to some internal error.
Please contact your system administrator or check your syslog to diagnose.
In the meantime this display will be disabled.
Please restart GDM when the problem is corrected.

Logging in through recovery and running “fsck” seemed to do the trick, however I'm without wireless access again (and was immediately prior to rebooting and finding the X server problem).

Below is the requested output (though it's not working anymore):

1)lshw -C network

*-network

description: Ethernet interface

product: 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.

physical id: 0

bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0

logical name: eth0

version: 12

serial: 00:23:ae:00:27:41

size: 100MB/s

capacity: 100MB/s

width: 64 bits

clock: 33MHz

capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation

configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=sky2 driverversion=1.22 duplex=full firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.74 latency=0 link=yes module=sky2 multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s

*-network UNCLAIMED

description: Network controller

product: BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n

vendor: Broadcom Corporation

physical id: 0

bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0

version: 03

width: 64 bits

clock: 33MHz

capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list

configuration: latency=0

*-network DISABLED

description: Ethernet interface

physical id: 2

logical name: pan0

serial: e2:28:0e:cf:ca:bb

capabilities: ethernet physical

configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

2)iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

pan0 no wireless extensions.

3)sudo iwlist scanning

lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

pan0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

Any help sincerely appreciated. Not sure if the X server and wireless fix above are related but I have no other theories to entertain. Thanks in advance! KYLE

martinbaselier
July 24th, 2009, 03:16 PM
First thing to do is check if your driver is loaded:

lsmod | grep wl

If it isn't do a sudo modprobe wl to load the driver

If this is the problem you can try find /etc/modprobe.d/ -exec cat {} \; | grep wl to see if the modules is blacklisted (prevented from loading automatically)

K_REY_C
July 24th, 2009, 03:26 PM
First thing to do is check if your driver is loaded:

lsmod | grep wl

If it isn't do a sudo modprobe wl to load the driver

If this is the problem you can try find /etc/modprobe.d/ -exec cat {} \; | grep wl to see if the modules is blacklisted (prevented from loading automatically)

lsmod | grep wl produces nothing for output in the terminal

sudo modprobe wl produces:
FATAL: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.28-13-generic/volatile/wl.ko': No such file or directory

find /etc/modprobe.d/ -exec cat {} \; | grep wl produces:
cat: /etc/modprobe.d/: Is a directory

See 1st post to see what I did in the past to get things working. Thanks very much for your help. KYLE

superprash2003
July 24th, 2009, 04:57 PM
have you looked at system->admin->hardware drivers ? if you dont find any try this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Feisty_No-Fluff

K_REY_C
July 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Shows "Broadcom STA Wireless Driver" but when I activate it it won't turn green and actually activate. Can I do this from the terminal?

Thanks!

superprash2003
July 26th, 2009, 09:45 AM
you may require a wired internet connection for this , it may require you to download some packages

ac4000
September 16th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Worked perfectly on my friend's XPS M1530 without any of the later problems. Noted that the dist-upgrade step was essential (and probably a good idea anyway) since I tried it without before just to test. Thank you!

warfy
October 4th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Thank You! This worked great for me! I used
sudo /ect/init.d/networking reset afterward, then rebooted and i was finally able to connect to wifi! Thanks ubuntu community!