PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network card stops working after shutdown

JoeJoe25
July 9th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Hi,

I've got a VIA VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter (PCI) in my PC. I've recently been trying linux but I have quite a big problem.

My network card/adapter will work fine under Windows, no problems there. It also works in Ubuntu too when I first turn my computer on, however, as soon as I shutdown from Ubuntu I will no longer be able to connect to any networks or the internet in Windows or Ubuntu.. In Windows my network adapter disappearsa.

The only way for me to be able to use my network adapter again is to turn my computer off completely (e.g turn it off by the plug) and turn it back on, I can boot into either Ubuntu or Windows and all will be fine. Yet when I shutdown from Ubuntu it messes up, again! I then have to turn it off by the plug again.

As you can guess, this is quite annoying. I assume that when Ubuntu shuts down it does something to my network card that messes it up. I know that even when you shutdown a PC, the network card stays on.. which is probably why it only works again after unplugging my PC, since that would have reset the network card.

Any ideas on how I could go about fixing this? Besides replacing my network card, that'll be my last resort. If you need me to do a command or something and come back here with the information, let me know! :)

Cheers,
JoeJoe25