PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I get and install the KDE version

bobmac
July 9th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Folks,

I've been playing/learning the Gnome ubuntu 8.04 version and now wish to try out the KDE version but I haven't a clue how to go about getting it or how to install it.

Any assistance will be gratefully appreciated. However, as I'm a complete novice at this sort of thing I need to be led by the hand somewhat as I have no idea about command line commands.

For example, I notice that under the Application | Add/Remove menu item there appear to be lots of KDE programs and similarly undr the System | Administration | Synaptic | Package Manager. Do I have to select each of these items in turn or how would I go about selecting which ones are necessary to get KDE up and running.

Regards,

Bob

jualin
July 9th, 2009, 05:52 AM
You just have to install the package kde or kde-desktop. Go to Synaptic Package Manager and look for the package and install it. Or using the command line
sudo apt-get install kde
Hope this helps!

jualin
July 9th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I forgot to mention that if you want one of the latest versions of KDE (KDE4) you will need to look for the package called "kubuntu-kde4-desktop" on Synaptic Package Manager or using the command line
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop
Good Luck!
P.S. After you install the package you will need to log out and when you are typing your user name, you need to press the "Session" or "Option" button from the login window, and select KDE4.

bobmac
July 9th, 2009, 05:59 AM
jualin,

Many thanks for your quick reply. I'll give it a go

Bob

nmaster
July 9th, 2009, 06:16 AM
when you login, you just have to choose whether you want to use kde or gnome.

jualin
July 9th, 2009, 06:17 AM
jualin,

Many thanks for your quick reply. I'll give it a go

Bob

Keep us posted!