PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] anchent kensington trackball

wantan0
July 9th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Ive got this old kensington expert mouse that i want to use (version 4.0) with my hardy distro

for some reason it is ALMOST working. the only problem it has is that it wont track horizontaly (but vertical movement and mouse buttons are fine)

It has a mini DIN 8 pin female serial port, which i have connected to a 8 pin male to DE-9 female cable which in turn is connected to a DE-9 male to PS2 port cable. The PS2 end goes into my computer.

I really have no idea what is going on. I started useing computers long after serial ports all turned into USB

any thoughts?

shatterblast
July 9th, 2009, 07:51 AM
If you have the option, I would suggest trying to feed it adapters through USB instead. I understand though that this method can still have complications. I believe it mainly depends on if the device connects directly to your system or to a USB hub, and also, it can have issues on whether the compliance level happens to run on the 1.1 or 2.0+ level. In most cases, 2.0 or higher compliance is best, but that's not always true. Oddly enough, 1.1 compliance can do the job in most of the remaining compatibility issues.

(Confusing yet? I thought so.)