PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video Card for Dual 30" Monitors and 9.04

ccranfield
July 9th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at updating my Ubuntu Version from 8.10 to 9.04. As it turns out - 9.04 will not support my older ATI X1800 card that is powering my Dual 30" Dell monitors (3007WFP).

I am running at a resolution of 5120x1600 - the Catalyst software figures out the dual monitor side of things - so I am not sure if that for each monitor or across the entire display. The way I have my displays confirmed is that I have the right hand screen as a "Big Desktop" to the right of Screen 1.

In any case, can anyone recommend a graphics card that is compatible with 9.04 that push these types of monitors/resolutions. In addition, if anyone has some ideas on the best way to upgrade and change graphics cards at the same time - I would be all ears :).

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS - this system is only used as a desktop and not a gaming machine.

Cheers,
C

shatterblast
July 9th, 2009, 08:10 AM
ATI should happily tell you what may happen to prove compatible with your existing hardware as a "step up." Sending them an e-mail can help. After that, just choose something that has recognized support from Ubuntu.

As far as support goes, you should still have the ability to use older video drivers if you desire. At least, I don't perceive an issue.

You may want to run "envyng-qt" from Synaptic. It can be accessed through:

System -> Administration -> Synaptic

After that, you may want to user an older ATI driver than whatever it presents as the most recent. It should allow the selection of more than one version if I remember correctly.

ccranfield
July 9th, 2009, 06:19 PM
ATI should happily tell you what may happen to prove compatible with your existing hardware as a "step up." Sending them an e-mail can help. After that, just choose something that has recognized support from Ubuntu.

As far as support goes, you should still have the ability to use older video drivers if you desire. At least, I don't perceive an issue.

You may want to run "envyng-qt" from Synaptic. It can be accessed through:

System -> Administration -> Synaptic

After that, you may want to user an older ATI driver than whatever it presents as the most recent. It should allow the selection of more than one version if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the reply Shaterblast.

What I really want to do is upgrade my graphics card anyways. This one is old and only had 256MB ram on it. I want to go to something more powerful - the fan is always running on this at full speed because it is working so hard.

So what I want to do is find a card that will the high resolutions - and is fully supported by Ubuntu.

C

shatterblast
July 10th, 2009, 02:20 AM
The following document has a listing of some ATI devices currently supported in the Ubuntu repositories. With a bit of technical help, you could probably push it even further.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/catalyst_86_linux.html