PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] IDT HD Audio Codec

Sim-I-Am :}
July 8th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Hey, I'm relatively new to UbuntuForums, and Ubuntu for that matter (but lovin it!). I just installed Jaunty on my second machine (Gateway P-6860FX Laptop), and I just have a few questions.
First of all, I have IDT HD Audio speakers on my lappy, and I can't seem to get them to work, or find any Linux drivers for them either. Does anyone else have any experience with this?
Also, what's a good audio converter for Linux?
And lastly, is there any way to enable AA on compiz animations? (dragging and desktop wall, for example)

Thanks,
Sim-I-Am

jenkinbr
July 9th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Sound Problem

You might also want to try this:

Open gnome-sound-proporties (System => Prefs => Sound)
Set everything to autodetect and set Default mixer track to your IDT card and choose the appropriate option below the device setting
Try playing sound - no luck, continue on.

Click the Volume Control Icon on the Notification area (sys tray)
Click Volume Control Button
Check the PCM volume setting - make sure it is unmuted and set to a decent level. Also make sure other appropriate settings are unmuted and at appropriate levels.
Try playing sound again - Still no luck, continue.

With the Volume control still open, click 'Preferences'.
Locate the option called 'External Amplifier (Switches)" and enable it.
Close the preferences and click the 'Switches' tab in gnome-volume-control
Ensure that External Amplifier is UNchecked - for some reason, this happens sometime.
Play some sound - Still no luck? Contine.

Post the output of the commands
aplay -l
lshw -C multimedia

Audio Converter
I have had good luck with ffmpeg using a winff frontend. I use the medibuntu version, which seems to work better.

Compiz

What do you mean by AA?

July 9th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Ok, nothing worked and there was no option for "External Amplifier (Switches)". So, here's my results:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

*-multimedia
description: Audio device
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1b
bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
version: 03
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0 module=snd_hda_intel

jenkinbr
July 9th, 2009, 02:58 PM
You may need to try configuring PulseAudio correctly.

psyke83 set up a very nice guide over at HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578) That may help out a bit.

Not sure why you don't have the external amplifier option in gnome-volume-control, though - I think it should be there regardless of hardware capabilities - half the stuff on that list has nothing to do with my hardware.

Temüjin
July 9th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Are they USB speakers or something? I wasn't aware you needed drivers for speakers.

As for AA (anti-aliasing), I know nvidia cards can do it. Wat kind of video do you have?

jenkinbr
July 9th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Are they USB speakers or something? I wasn't aware you needed drivers for speakers.

As for AA (anti-aliasing), I know nvidia cards can do it. Wat kind of video do you have?
The speakers are the laptop built-in.

I know he has an nVidia card, I think its an 8600, but I'm not sure.

(no, I'm not psychic or anything - I know this user personally :))

Temüjin
July 9th, 2009, 09:04 PM
http://forum.foresightlinux.org/index.php?topic=381.0

For sound: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=565471

July 11th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Ok, I got the sound working! I followed one of the links Temujin posted, and by way of browsing multiple forums, I stumbled upon this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1073090 Followed the instructions, rebooted, and voila! Sound!

As for the Compiz AA (Anti-Aliasing) question, I haven't found a solution yet. The solutions in the link Temujin posted didn't work for me... Any other ideas?