PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD Drive Will Not Read Data DVD's

guv999
July 8th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Hi All
My drive will not read data DVDs
i insert the DVD into the drive, it appears to start reading the disc but does not actually mount the DVD

I am using Jaunty
The discs have been used in other drives and work fine
The drive itself recognises other discs (normal DVD's and CD's all fine)
The drives details are:
NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A

Appreciate any help or advice offered

shatterblast
July 9th, 2009, 09:27 AM
You may want to check out the following:

http://www.medibuntu.org/

It has technology that allows access to region coding. Please check for legality before installing.

guv999
July 10th, 2009, 12:10 AM
You may want to check out the following:

http://www.medibuntu.org/

It has technology that allows access to region coding. Please check for legality before installing.

Hi - thanks for the response - can you explain why you believe this would help out? What should I be looking out for or action?

shatterblast
July 11th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Apparently, there exists a slight legal issue with "libdvdcss2" if a trading ban exists between nations or something to that effect. You would probably know if you can't buy DVDs or even CDs for that matter.

Usage of the "w32codecs" or "w64codecs" implies that you have a Windows XP or higher license I think. It's one of those "free" versus "non-free" things. (Note: "Proprietary" doesn't always mean "non-free," but I also think LGPL can dip into the area of "proprietary.")

The desired software should be "libdvdcss2". I believe it has the tools to adjust DVD regional settings. Also, it has a very distant relation to "reverse-engineering." That shouldn't be an issue over all.

rkagey
November 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I have a similar problem, I just installed Kubuntu 9.10 and I could read dvds just fine for the first couple, I was also installing updates and media codecs while the files were transferring. Now when ever I put a dvd of any sort in the drive it won't read, only reads Cds. Although my external dvd burner will read dvds just fine when I turn it on.

I don't know for sure but I think it was after I installed all of the media codecs that it quit working. Although I don't know the files that got install to uninstall.