PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mac Volume Keys?

zacharyrs
July 8th, 2009, 08:28 PM
How can I get my MacBook volume keys (the three keys next to numlock on the top row of the keyboard) to actually work with the volume on U? When I click on one of the volume keys it doesn't change the volume and I have to do it manually :(

bear24rw
July 8th, 2009, 08:51 PM
in keyboard shortcuts you can assign them to run the command

amixer set master +5%

amixer set master -5%
I dont remember the exact syntax so try them in the terminal first and see if they work

zacharyrs
July 8th, 2009, 08:54 PM
in keyboard shortcuts you can assign them to run the command

amixer set master +5%
amixer set master -5%I dont remember the exact syntax so try them in the terminal first and see if they work

Hey, review attached screenshot. I'm not sure what I'm doing :) I appreciate your help :)

bear24rw
July 8th, 2009, 09:00 PM
try Master with capital M i dont think the +5% and -5% are right though im trying to remember/look up

EDIT

amixer set Master 10%-
amixer set Master 10%+

try those, also alsamixer will allow you to see your current volume

Richardcavell
July 9th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Have you installed the package pommed? It enables all your hotkeys.

Richard

cyberdork33
July 9th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Have you installed the package pommed? It enables all your hotkeys.

Richard
you do not use pommed anymore (especially on newer Intel Mac), it only creates issues as the capability is built into the kernel. You should follow the docuementation for your mac version here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSupportTeam/CommunityHelpPages

zacharyrs
July 9th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hi, I added the above to the terminal, but it does nothing. I select any of my three volume keys (including mute) and it does nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Breath!
July 10th, 2009, 09:56 PM
System> Prefrences> Keyboard Shortcuts

Find the three items, Volume Up, Volume Down and Mute. Click that crazy list of numbers and letters and it will change to 'New Accelerator...' . Now press the Volume Up key. Repeat those steps for the other two keys.

zacharyrs
July 12th, 2009, 05:36 PM
System> Prefrences> Keyboard Shortcuts

Find the three items, Volume Up, Volume Down and Mute. Click that crazy list of numbers and letters and it will change to 'New Accelerator...' . Now press the Volume Up key. Repeat those steps for the other two keys.

Hi, I tried this and this does not work. The three volume keys were selected as the keyboard shortcuts, but to no avail.

Any help on figuring other options for this would be greatly appreciated :)