PDA

View Full Version : partioner

Zasquatch
July 8th, 2009, 04:43 AM
i am trying to install ubuntu on one partion of my computer the problem is there is no free space so i go in and earse one of the partions and it says something about the partion menu anyone wanna help me out?

pizza-is-good
July 8th, 2009, 04:46 AM
OK, I can help, but I need more info. HDD size, all your current partitions, how much free space you have, and all info you can give me.

Revolutionary101
July 8th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I suggest using a software called Partition Commander 10.

It will let you resize your other partitions to free up space on your hard drive. I have used it and it works very well. But when editing your boot partition (Windows) which I suppose is the one you want to shrink, be careful I have done this a few times and I have completely lost some of my documents.

Zasquatch
July 8th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Okay not very computer savvy yet but here it goes i have a acer extensa 5620z the four partitions windows vista 9.8 GB/windows vista 220.6 GB/ ubuntu2.3 GB/ Swap 172.5.

I want to reload ubuntu becuase someone stole my computer and hacked it i dont have my user name or password.

As of right now i am looking at a screen that says prepare partitions

pizza-is-good
July 8th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Okay not very computer savvy yet but here it goes i have a acer extensa 5620z the four partitions windows vista 9.8 GB/windows vista 220.6 GB/ ubuntu2.3 GB/ Swap 172.5.

I want to reload ubuntu becuase someone stole my computer and hacked it i dont have my user name or password.

Ok, so let me see if I got this right:
4 partitons:
a 9.8 GB for Vista
a 220.6 GB for Vista as well
2.3 GB for Ubuntu
172.5 GB for Swap

If that is right, then we really need to fix your partitions. Please confirm tho.

I suggest you go in with a live CD or usb of Ubuntu, and fix all the partitions through there.

I'll give you instructions on that when you confirm.

There will most likely be data loss, so be preapared and start backing up now.

Also, do you want to entirely remove the current Ubuntu? And what do you want to do with Vista?

pizza-is-good
July 8th, 2009, 05:30 AM
As of right now i am looking at a screen that says prepare partitions

What OS are you in now?

Zasquatch
July 8th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Yes that is right and i want to remove the ubuntu i have on the system right now and reload ubuntu. i want to make vista smaller to and like i said sorry for the inconvience of this question but how do i back things up and where should i be at right now?
(As of right now i have a live cd in the computer but no more blank disc or flash drives will i still be able to back things up?

WAIT not ubuntu. ubuntu setup on no operating system but i can acsess windows vista if need be

pizza-is-good
July 8th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Yes that is right and i want to remove the ubuntu i have on the system right now and reload ubuntu. i want to make vista smaller to and like i said sorry for the inconvience of this question but how do i back things up and where should i be at right now?
(As of right now i have a live cd in the computer but no more blank disc or flash drives will i still be able to back things up?

Jaunty ubuntu.

OK, so you have the live CD. That's good.

If you have any data that you care about saving, copy it to another device. If you have none, and it is data really important to you, there are free online storages, this could be a good option http://skydrive.live.com/

The live CD is were you should be at.

I take it that you are unable to go into either Vista or Ubuntu.

You can mount your HDDs from the live CD, and back up from there.

also, execute this in the live CD
sudo apt-get install gparted You will need to have internet connection for that.
It is the app for editing partitions. It might already come with it, but just in case.

I'm gonna check out for tonight. Sorry.
I'll continue helping tomorrow.