PDA

View Full Version : How to install Sins of Solar Empire?

Melhisedek
July 8th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I bought the game through Impulse so I don't have any physical media. How do I get it to work? (have it on my Windows partition)

cogadh
July 8th, 2009, 07:19 AM
All you should need to do is copy the install executable you downloaded through Impulse to your Linux partition, then run the install just like you did on Windows, assuming that you already have Wine installed and configured.

Melhisedek
July 8th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Worked wonderfully but sadly font is to big, and I can't increase resolution to my native. Any ideas on how I could fix that perhaps? I think there was a thing I could do about fonts but not sure about resolution...

Solved both problems :) Fonts can be get from here:

www.honorguardonline.com/sins/sinsfontfix.tar.gz

and resolution was fixed by:

Make sure it's not running in windowed mode. if that fails, try changing it manually via the setting config files:

C:\Documents and Settings\<account_name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire\Setting

"user.setting" - open with notepad or any text editor.

VideoFullScreenWidth ####
VideoFullScreenHeight #### - change to what you want them to be and save.

BlackRoijaX
July 8th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Buying any game that doesn't have a physical media is a very, very, very bad idea.

Melhisedek
July 8th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I just wanted to support the publisher for not including any DRM whatsoever. Have all the Stardock games. Never even played Galactic Civilizations for more than 2 hours (couldn't get what I was supposed to do) Demigod I did 2 MP matches, still I want to support them

cogadh
July 8th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Buying any game that doesn't have a physical media is a very, very, very bad idea.

Its only a bad idea if you don't have the means to back up the downloaded data. Pretty much everyone should have some kind of CD/DVD burner these days, so that really shouldn't be an issue. Buying digitally distributed games is not only easier, it is (often) cheaper and much more environmentally friendly. Pretty much its a good thing all around, especially when you are supporting a company that is on the gamer's side, like Stardock.

BlackRoijaX
July 8th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Its only a bad idea if you don't have the means to back up the downloaded data. Pretty much everyone should have some kind of CD/DVD burner these days, so that really shouldn't be an issue. Buying digitally distributed games is not only easier, it is (often) cheaper and much more environmentally friendly. Pretty much its a good thing all around, especially when you are supporting a company that is on the gamer's side, like Stardock.

Friendly smendly. If it doesn't have a real world presence, screw it.

not a pipe
July 11th, 2009, 10:04 PM

Heh, buying a game that requires ie7 to get updates is also a bad idea.

Sealbhach
May 30th, 2010, 10:20 PM
SSE is being sold at a big discount now, it 2.76 in my currency:

http://www.impulsedriven.com/sin

I downloaded and install it using the Steam-like Impulse Client using Windows in Virtualbox. Then copied the installed folder into Linux and ran it in Wine. Works fine and good value at that price.