View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB iPhone tethering trouble OS 3.0 (iphone 3g)

July 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I'm having trouble connecting my iphone to my ubuntu laptop. It works fine on my mac, a windows laptop, and even this same laptop with a windows 7 installiation, but I cant seem to get it to work in 9.04.

Has anyone done this via USB? I dont have bluetooth on this old laptop and I dont want to install an expresscard option either.

July 12th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I'm in the same situation and would really love it if someone had a solution please!

July 13th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Did you guys try this:

July 13th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Unfortunately, that only works with bluetooth. I need it to work with USB.

Thanks for the suggestion though! :) I had found that site previously.

July 14th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Ive been digging around recently trying to find the answer to the same question myself recently.
Unfortunately i have only seen reference to the bluetooth tether :( So im thinking the only option is to put bluetooth in my eeePC heheh
Would be good to hear some info from someone regarding USB tethering under linux

July 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I just found this:

Ill give it a shot tomorrow and report back how it turns out

July 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM
that's the itunnel jailbroken method. it works nicely although that isn't true usb tethering on native OS3.

I know that with windows itunes is needed in order to install the relevant network driver.

September 12th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I'd be interested in this too, but haven't been able to find out anything about doing it legitimately on os3.0

September 22nd, 2009, 05:37 PM
Tethering is disabled if you upgraded to OS 3.1.

If you didnt then to enable it on your iPhone, go to:

Best of Luck

September 23rd, 2009, 01:20 AM
I have OS 3.1 and tethering is still enabled. I'd wager that it's appearing disabled for you because of which carrier you're using.

November 27th, 2009, 08:45 PM
In windows, when the iPhone is connected to USB, it exposes a PTP (digital camera) device and an "Apple Mobile USB Device". The Apple Mobile Device service talks to the latter and, if tethering is on, makes the iPhone expose a USB Ethernet Adapter. AFAIK, it follows the standards for a USB network adapter, but getting the iPhone to turn it on is another matter...