PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Dell Mini 10v - What's the verdict?

dean2k
July 7th, 2009, 02:29 PM
So... anyone here bought the Dell Mini 10v? What's the verdict? How well does it run out of the box? Does it use the Ubuntu Netbook Remix or a different "stock" option. And how's that Intel chip working out?

Any info would be great... thx!

shatterblast
July 8th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Here are some links I came across:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HliEujxRoYQ

http://mydellmini.com/forum/news/9284-dell-mini-10v-runs-ubuntu-9-04-stock-100-a.html

Dell usually runs well with Ubuntu from what I am aware, and they even provide it as an option for installs. I have no personal experience with the "Mini 10v".

dean2k
July 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the links. The Dell Mini 10v is what Dell offers for Canada and comes preinstalled with Ubuntu.

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has bought one ... and their experience so far.

joshedmonds
July 8th, 2009, 02:10 PM
No, I don't have one, but this was a good review, with plenty of (owner) comments good and bad.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/06/29/review_netbook_dell_inspiron_mini_10v/

dckrooney
July 8th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I've had mine for about a month now, and as soon as I got it, I wiped 8.10 and did a clean install of 9.04.

Since then I've had no issues of any kind. It works flawlessly.

My next major change will be to add a SSD (OCZ's Vertex), as the only complaints I'd make of the Mini 10v are of the hard drive. It's loud (given that everything else is silent, it's REALLY obvious to me... nitpicking, I know), and loading applications takes longer than I'd like (I'm looking at you Mozilla).

Hopefully the SSD will sort these out. :P

dean2k
July 8th, 2009, 07:56 PM
@dckrooney

Thanks!

Some folks have been telling me that the Mini-10 and Mini-12 have subpar video capabilities due to their chipsets. So, no problems with Jaunty's video on the mini 10?

snowpine
July 8th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Mini 10 and Mini 10v are two different animals.

Mini 10 has the same "guts" as the Mini 12, which means video problems.
Mini 10v is the same as the Mini 9, which runs Ubuntu very well.

dckrooney
July 9th, 2009, 12:34 AM
@dean2k

I haven't noticed any particularly glaring issues with video thus far, but I haven't gone out of my way to test it out either :P

dean2k
July 9th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Mini 10 and Mini 10v are two different animals.

Mini 10 has the same "guts" as the Mini 12, which means video problems.
Mini 10v is the same as the Mini 9, which runs Ubuntu very well.

Okay, I gotcha. I was specifically referring to the mini 10v, so when people are taking about Ubuntu on the "mini 10", I'd better flush out whether they are talking about the 10 or 10vee.

Cheers :p

dckrooney
July 11th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Ok so I got my SSD in the mail yesterday, installed it with no troubles.

After some minor tweaking, I'm fully satisfied with its performance.

I've seen a slightly longer battery life (so far anyhow, time will tell), dramatically reduced heat buildup, and MUCH snappier performance.

So now my experience with the Mini 10v has gone from good to great. :P