PDA

View Full Version : [other] New hard drive reports old partitions - wrong size

Hallvor
July 7th, 2009, 07:42 AM
My main rig died and I decided to insert a 200 GB hard drive to my secondary computer. (See specs below) Everything seemed to go without a hassle. The 200 GB drive only had a single partition of media files and was formatted as ext3.

However, to my surprise it only showed as a 20 GB hard drive in the bios (like my old drive). It has a 1 GB swap partition and a 19 GB root partition. And when I booted the computer with a livecd, only the partitions from the *old* drive turned up, and it still wrongly reported it as a 20 GB hard drive.

I have no clue what I should do next, since when I am a total noob when it comes to hardware. I really would like to use the full capacity of the drive and not just the first 20 GB.

shatterblast
July 8th, 2009, 12:45 AM
You may need to go into your computer's BIOS and Enable what I think to be called AHCI in your computer's hard drive configuration screen. You can get into your BIOS by pressing F2 or Del on your keyboard usually right as your computer turns on. At least, there's a message that may say "Press The Key Over There On Your Keyboard to Go Into This Stuff That May Confuse You or Your Pants". Or something to that effect.