PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Battery life

riskyayush
July 6th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I am using a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5875.

On windows my battery runs for around 2 hours under normal working conditions. While only for 1.5 hrs with Ubuntu under same working conditions. Is it possible that Ubuntu reads the amount of battery life remaining wrong and gives me a false alarm? Is there a way fifure that out?

Also when I hook up to power supply, Ubuntu takes about a minute to realize that the power cable has been plugged in.

jumbofishmeat
July 7th, 2009, 12:45 AM
When the battery gets to it's critical point, does it actually turn the computer off? I use Ubuntu 9.04, and when my battery gets down to the critical point, it all the sudden shows as charging, and levels off for another 10 minutes. I think it might be a degraded battery, but it also might just mean that the current charge detection software (not hardware, as it sounds like it works better in windows) just doesn't work that well.

You can look at the Charge Time Profile, and Discharge time profile in the battery Power History menu (right click on the battery icon). Usually, the discharge time accuracy profile will tell you how accurate your battery readings are at each battery percentage. Also, if you feel like it, just watch as your battery goes down one day (on the charge graph). That might give you a better idea on where your battery is dying.

Another thought is that Ubuntu might just use up more power (although that sounds unlikely)

philcamlin
July 7th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I am using a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5875.

On windows my battery runs for around 2 hours under normal working conditions. While only for 1.5 hrs with Ubuntu under same working conditions. Is it possible that Ubuntu reads the amount of battery life remaining wrong and gives me a false alarm? Is there a way fifure that out?

Also when I hook up to power supply, Ubuntu takes about a minute to realize that the power cable has been plugged in.

try disabling some effects that use up battery life more excessively :popcorn: