View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I unplug external modem from WinXP PC and plug into Ubuntu PC?

July 6th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I have just installed Ubuntu into a desktop pc for the first time.

The other home computer I have runs WindowsXP. It has an ethernet card that attaches via a short ethernet cable into an external modem. There is no router, and I do not use wireless.

If I unplug the ethernet cable from the WinXP PC, and plug it into the Ubuntu PC ethernet socket, what will happen?

1) Will it do all the work and somehow connect itself automatically to the internet?
2) If not, what will I have to do? I've a feeling this is going to be complicated and difficult, requiring arcane technical knowledge I know nothing about.
3) Will it change any settings on the modem? I'm worried that the modem would not work when I reconnect it to the WinXP PC, a predicament I want to avoid. I need to use it for internet access every day.

Since I will only be using one computer at a time I do not feel any great urge for the moment to buy a router, which I expect are difficult for the non-tech to set up. But that's another issue.

July 6th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Routers are relativly inexpensive, and have the added benefit of having a built in firewall. There are times when you need a second computer to help repair problems in either Windows or Ubuntu, and having a second computer with an internet connection is worth it's weight in gold. Routers are fairly easy to setup. Most of them come with a CD to set it up in Windows. Just follow the instructions, and it will be up and running in less then ten minutes. If you can set up ubuntu, you should have no problems setting up a router.

July 7th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for that remark, but I havnt had any answers to my main questions yet.

July 7th, 2009, 09:41 AM
As long as the pc's are turned off it should be fine.Depending on your modem an ethernet connection should just work. Try it and see if not tell us the internet provider, make and model of modem and we will point you in the right direction.

July 7th, 2009, 04:39 PM
yes it should work , if dhcp is enabled in it.. If windows is able to automatically connect to it , then ubuntu should!!