View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will Ubuntu recognise hardware changes easily?

July 6th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I am a new user so please forgive me if I ask stupid questions.

I have just burnt a Ubuntu CD and used it to install the latest version of Ubuntu desktop into a PC that's a few years old, overwriting Windows2000. It works fine -lovely screensavers.

My question is - I have some graphics cards and an ethernet card that are both of similar age to the PC. **The computer is offline, not currently linked to the internet**

When I replace the graphics card with a better but still rather old one, and change the old dial-up internal modem for an ethernet card, will the computer recognise them all by itself when I turn the computer on again?

Or will I have to do anything more complicated? The computer is not linked to the internet yet, so I would have to transfer things on a pendrive or a burnt cd. I still have the ubuntu installation disk I burnt, if that matters.

July 6th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Isn't Linux wonderful? If you attempted these hardware changes, with Windows Xp or higher, you would need to "Re-Activate" Windows!

Ubuntu should be very good at recognizing your hardware changes and applying the necessary drivers. Just in case, I would go into System>Administration>Software Sources and check the box to use your Ubuntu CD.

July 6th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Indeed, in linux everything you need is in the kernel. You can change as much of the hardware as you like. I recently moved a harddisk to a whole other computer - Ubuntu booted with no problems at all!