View Full Version : [ubuntu] Muli-boot: Installing Grub to partition fails on installation of Jaunty

July 6th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I have unexpectedly run into great, unsolvable problems installing Jaunty on a known Ubuntu-compatible system. This actually is due not to a hardware issue, but to the multi-booting arrangement. Installing Grub to the partition boot sector (not MBR) apparently failed during installation. Multiple post-installation attempts to install Grub to the partition failed. Further attempts using fresh Jaunty installation, followed by manual attempts to install Grub to the partition, all failed. A subsequent fresh installation of Jaunty, in which Grub should write the MBR, hung without overwriting the MBR.

Dell M1330
Fresh install of Jaunty (amd64) on an extended partition

Problem description
The SATA drive partitioning scheme is mildly complex, since I am multi-booting Vista, Debian Lenny (amd64), and Ubuntu, as well as reserving partitions for trying out distros. My intention is to have Debian manage Grub in the MBR, and to chainload not only Vista but also the bootloader (usually Grub) from the respective operating systems. So far, Vista and Debian are installed. Here are the partitions relevant to the Ubuntu install:

/dev/sda1 NTFS
/dev/sda2 /boot (managed by Debian Lenny, which lives on about four partitions)
/dev/sda9 swap
/dev/sda10 Ubuntu root
/dev/sda11 Ubuntu home

The Grub entry in Debian's /boot/grub/menu.lst for chainloading the Grub (theoretically) installed Jaunty's partition is something like:
title Jaunty
root (hd0,9)
chainloader +1

The difficulty I've run into is successfully installing Grub to the Ubuntu partition, /dev/sda10, which for Grub is (hd0,9). I've double-checked that both Lenny and Jaunty are using Grub Legacy (version 0.97). I've tried many things, so here is a rough chronological account of the steps taken:

Install jaunty. During installation, select the sda10 and sda11 partitions, choose mount points and format XFS; select "Advanced" and specify to install Grub to /dev/sda10. The installation was successful, but to my surprise, Grub appeared not to be installed. Chainloading from the Debian-managed Grub in the MBR failed. Curiously, there is no initrd that I could see in the Jaunty installation. Trying to load the vmlinuz directly by manually editing the Grub entry failed. Unfortunately, I didn't write down those error messages. The proof that Jaunty did not install Grub to the partition is that, although the grub package was installed, there was no grub directory in Jaunty's /boot.
Install Grub manually. References 2 and 3 (see below) describe ways to mount the freshly installed Jaunty (also mounting proc and dev) and use chroot to run Grub from within the system and install to (hd0,9). I tried this both from Debian and from the Jaunty live CD. Grub gave error messages; running "find /boot/grub/stage1" returned only the entry in /dev/sda2 (Debian). This is because there was no /boot/grub directory in Jaunty, despite having specified it to install Grub to /dev/sda10 during the Jaunty installation.
Try, fail, rinse-and-repeat. In my efforts to install Grub I figured I'd broken something. Or, it would be simpler to try something different during installation. This happened more than once, so I ended up installing Jaunty about four times. Well... installation doesn't take that long, after all. ;)
Kickstart Grub. I ended up creating a /boot/grub directory and copying all files from /usr/lib64/grub/x86_64-pc/ from hand after a fresh Jaunty install. In the chroot, this allowed Grub to find /boot/grub/stage1, and it reported successfully installing to (hd0,9), meaning /dev/sda10; however, it did report failing to install 1_5, although it reports "this is not fatal". Unfortunately, the attempt to chainload from the MBR Grub (the one that reads from /dev/sda2 where Debian's /boot resides) fails with Error 13: "Invalid or unsupported executable format".
Generate menu.lst Since the previous step failed, I though maybe the problem was that there was still no menu.lst. So I ran "sudo update-grub", but this failed, saying that it couldn't resolve the UUID for either /dev/sda9 or /dev/sda10. I edited /etc/fstab, replacing the UUID entries with the appropriate /dev/sda9 and /dev/sda10. Chainloading still failed with Error 13.
Install Jaunty and write its Grub to MBR. At this point, I figured it would be simpler to just let Jaunty write Grub to the MBR during a fresh install. Then at least it should have a standard installation of /boot/grub, complete with a Jaunty-configured menu.lst. Afterward, I could boot Jaunty directly, install Grub to the sda9 partition boot sector, and finally rewrite the Debian Grub to the MBR. During installation, I specified formatting the partitions, gave in all information, selected to install to (hd0), and the installation proceeded. Unexpectedly, after the progress bar reached the end, the installation hung, showing only the Jaunty wallpaper, instead of the live CD desktop as usual. I switched to the shell with Ctl-Alt-F1, and it had the prompt with no activity, as though the installation were complete. There was no hard-drive or CD activity, so after waiting a while, I issued a "sudo shutdown -r now" from the shell. Upon rebooting, I got the Debian Grub menu as usual, so Jaunty did not successfully write Grub to the MBR. I don't know why this behavior after several successful installations; the only difference may have been that the switch controlling wifi, bluetooth, etc. was on.
Check disk. Ran the integrity check of the live disk, it passed.
Installation failed again. I tried installing again, it failed the same way. At this point, I hadn't thought of the wifi switch.

This brings me up to the present. I will of course try the install again with the wifi switch off.

I've used several resources to keep myself on the straight-and-narrow.
1. http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/index.html
2. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto
3. How to install Grub from a live Ubuntu cd. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351as:)
4. many Google results

The actual questions

The most urgent issue is to figure out why Ubuntu isn't installing correctly anymore. If it turns out not to be caused by the wifi switch, how to I diagnose the installation hanging where it does?
What could be the reason the installation of Grub to the partition doesn't work? I expected this to work without any manual mucking about. Did I miss something? I haven't been able to try installing Ubuntu to the MBR, then writing it to the partition and replacing the MBR with Debian's Grub, as described above. If that works, fine. I would submit a bug report if the installation to partition turns out not to work as the designers expected, but I haven't determined whether I've discovered a bug.

Later on, I plan to make things even more complex, because I want to add FreeBSD to the mix... :-\"

July 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
polite bump.

Last night I tried installing with the wifi/bluetooth switch off, and selecting Grub to install to the MBR. It finished installing and arrived at the live desktop. When I selected Restart, it didn't shut down—the screen went blank but the machine didn't halt, and I couldn't get to a console. I had to reboot using the power button. The Debian-managed Grub was still in the MBR!

For now, I think this has to turn into a "why doesn't Ubuntu install" thread. Any ideas? I'm at a loss here, given the known compatibility of the hardware?

July 7th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I just scanned your post, and I see something that might help. Grub counts partitions differently than linux. If /dev/sda3 is your extended partition, grub will number it (hd0,2) as you might expect. If you only have three primary partitions, with /dev/sda3 being your extended partition, then the first logical paritition in Linux will be /dev/sda4. However, the first logical partition in grub will be numbered (hd0,4) instead of (hd0,3). Grub counts logical partitions starting at (hd0,4). So if you have logical partitions /dev/sda4 to /dev/sda11, grub will number these (hd0,4) to (hd0,11), and your Ubuntu root partition will be (hd0,10), and not (hd0,9) as you used in the command. So, do you only have three primary partitions? An fdisk -l output would be helpful. See the grub manual, section 2 "Naming Convention" (http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Naming-convention). (I think the manual says "extended partition" but from other sources it seems that the first logical paritition is intended.)

July 9th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'm fairly certain that I have four primaries, the fourth containing the logical partitions. I recall that, after I had manually moved the Grub files to Jaunty's /boot/grub, the output in Grub shell of "find /boot/grub/stage1" did return (hd0,9). In any case, this is certainly worth checking out, I will do so this evening and provide a full "fdisk -l" output.

I will feel sheepish if this turns out to be my problem with trying to write Grub by hand, but I'm certain that it's not the problem with installing Jaunty—especially when specifying to write Grub to the MBR. Suppose I'll have to read up on troubleshooting installs.

Thanks very much for your reply!

July 9th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Here's the current setup:

# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xb14cf090

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 10445 83891200 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 10446 10464 152617+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 10465 10525 489982+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 10587 30401 159163987+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 10587 12422 14747638+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 12423 12811 3124611 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 12812 12849 305203+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 12850 14077 9863878+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda9 14078 14320 1951866 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda10 14321 16931 20972826 83 Linux
/dev/sda11 16932 17584 5245191 83 Linux
/dev/sda12 17585 20195 20972826 83 Linux
/dev/sda13 20196 20848 5245191 83 Linux
/dev/sda14 20849 30401 76734441 7 HPFS/NTFS

I used the installer to format the Jaunty partitions and use XFS. See the screenshot of GParted for a few extra details.

All this for reference at the moment. I fixed a few things on my Debian install tonight instead of trying to reinstall Jaunty, so I'll be back with more gory details in the coming days...

Thought of a way to test how grub interprets partitions:
grub> cat (hd0,9)/etc/fstab
cat (hd0,9)/etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
# Use 'vol_id --uuid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda10 during installation
UUID=299f83d7-618b-4a23-9d7a-1945f1a36a99 / xfs relatime 0 1
# /home was on /dev/sda11 during installation
UUID=d1845579-9d65-4ca5-b9a8-3d0caba69238 /home xfs relatime 0 2
/dev/sda9 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

Since it finds /etc/fstab there, it appears that Grub interprets /dev/sda10 as (hd0,9) after all. Wish it would've been that easy though, even with egg on my face. :)

July 11th, 2009, 08:44 PM
The fresh installation of Jaunty worked this time. The only thing I did differently is to format the partition using ext4 instead of XFS. That means I again specified to write the boot loader to (hd0). The installation worked flawlessly, the shutdown went smoothly, and I eagerly anticipated seeing Ubuntu's bootloader screen.

Still no go.

Upon rebooting, I again got Debian's bootloader screen, meaning Ubuntu's Grub did not overwrite the MBR. So forget all the fancy-shmancy multi-boot stuff above, let's limit ourselves to the facts:

The partitions are as listed in the previous post.
I did a fresh install of Jaunty amd64 on this Dell M1330, mounting / on /dev/sda10 and /home on /dev/sda11.
I selected to write the bootloader to (hd0), which normally would mean overwriting the MBR.

I booted using the LiveCD and did the following: (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351)

ubuntu@ubuntu:/mnt$ sudo mkdir /mnt/root
ubuntu@ubuntu:/mnt$ sudo mount /dev/sda10 /mnt/root/
ubuntu@ubuntu:/mnt$ sudo mount -t proc none /mnt/root/proc/
ubuntu@ubuntu:/mnt$ sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/root/dev/
ubuntu@ubuntu:/mnt$ sudo chroot /mnt/root /bin/bash
root@ubuntu:/# sudo grub
sudo: unable to resolve host ubuntu
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For
the first word, TAB lists possible command
completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completions of a device/filename. ]
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
find /boot/grub/stage1
grub> quit
root@ubuntu:/# pwd
root@ubuntu:/# cd boot/
root@ubuntu:/boot# ls
abi-2.6.28-11-generic memtest86+.bin vmcoreinfo-2.6.28-11-generic
config-2.6.28-11-generic System.map-2.6.28-11-generic vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic
root@ubuntu:/boot# sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo: unable to resolve host ubuntu
Could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device.
root@ubuntu:/boot# grub

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For
the first word, TAB lists possible command
completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completions of a device/filename. ]
grub> cat (hd0,9)/etc/fstab
cat (hd0,9)/etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
# Use 'vol_id --uuid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda10 during installation
UUID=ac51e0db-15e3-42e1-899a-34371f02cb55 / ext4 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /home was on /dev/sda11 during installation
UUID=b40fff5e-ab34-47b5-8bed-cc17cea03218 /home ext4 relatime 0 2
/dev/sda9 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
grub> quit
root@ubuntu:/boot# ls -lh
total 5.9M
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 514K 2009-04-17 05:34 abi-2.6.28-11-generic
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 89K 2009-04-17 05:34 config-2.6.28-11-generic
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K 2009-07-11 19:17 grub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 126K 2009-03-27 21:12 memtest86+.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.8M 2009-04-17 05:34 System.map-2.6.28-11-generic
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.2K 2009-04-17 05:39 vmcoreinfo-2.6.28-11-generic
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3.4M 2009-04-17 05:34 vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic
root@ubuntu:/boot# cd grub
root@ubuntu:/boot/grub# ls -l
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 30 2009-07-11 19:17 device.map
root@ubuntu:/boot/grub# cat device.map
(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/sda

Unless I am mistaken, Grub is for whatever reason not correctly installing during a fresh install of Jaunty. After I chroot into the installation, it is clear that there is no /boot/grub directory---meaning no menu.lst is generated.

Also, is it now normal in Ubuntu that there is no initrd in /boot? I find the following link in the root directory:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 2009-07-12 03:13 initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
But as you see above, there is no such file in /boot, although vmlinuz is there.

This weirdness is clearly an installation issue, but Google isn't bringing me any closer to the reason why. I did find something that was caused by a hardware conflict, (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-278786.html) but that obviously does not apply in my case.

Why would Grub fail to install---even failing to create /boot/grub and copy its files there? And why would Jaunty decide to not inform me about it during the installation process?

July 11th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I was thinking more about your problems, and was about to post back to try ext3 or ext4 instead of XFS, but I see you did try ext4, with some improvement.

Still, ext4 might be causing a problem with the installer program on the Live CD. It seems that something in the installer is not working. If you are willing, try re-installing with an ext3 format. The other guess is that the installer program has some flaw in it. Does the disk install OK on other hardware?

July 12th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Thanks dstew, I see you were suggesting this at the same time I was moving that direction.

Actually, I did already try a new install using ext3, for no other reason than Debian Lenny doesn't support ext4 yet without some effort, and these two are going to be living together. That install failed too.

I actually was blind to the failure of all of these installs; I was so focused on the bootloader that I didn't really notice the real problem was indeed in the installer. Ubiquity was crashing during the install. The CD checks out, so I think it's a basic conflict. I was ready to switch to the 32-bit version, but Googling indicated that the LiveCD can with some systems be less reliable, wheras the Alternate CD tends to have less problems, so I downloaded the Alternate CD amd64. I installed it using Debian (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromLinux) (a first for me, neat w/o the a CD), and everything is now working as desired. I did learn even more about Grub during this process, but the main thing I have learned over the past several days is not to take the Ubuntu installer for granted.

Thanks all for reading my docudrama. :popcorn:

July 12th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Glad you pressed through to victory. Best wishes.

January 15th, 2010, 07:32 AM