View Full Version : [xubuntu] Network device not managed

July 6th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I can not connect to the internet. I suspect that this may be related to the update that i just installed since i had internet prior to. I tried changing a system file to help my cause, but i couldn't get it to do it for me. I tried su root, changing the authorization list, adding me to the root group, and giving me more privileges. none of it worked i still cant get on the internet, and i still can't edit system files.

any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated

I am using the Xubuntu 9.04 on a 80Gb PS3

July 6th, 2009, 10:21 AM
What method are you using to connect to the internet? Wifi, adsl or smokesignals?

July 6th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Network Manager gets pouty when it doesn't get to be boss. You might try setting up internet connection via NM first - if that doesn't play, you can resort to editing /etc/network/interfaces. (Comment out or remove any definitions except "lo" in /etc/network/interfaces).

July 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I have the same problem in Ubuntu 9.04...on a Fujitsu-Siemens. I had configured both wired(through dsl) and wireless with pppoeconf and I was quite surprised that the wireless was working as well.
But now, after installing some updates, it's all gone. I tried using the Network Manager but it still didn't work. Editing the interfaces file didn't work. I have also uninstalled some program called apparmor that might have caused trouble. I could really use some help.

October 12th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hoping this closed thread may give a clue to you: