PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How often are DNS lookups performed?

tomcat2007
July 6th, 2009, 01:05 AM
How often are DNS lookups performed? I'll navigate to a website then a few minutes later that infuriating "looking up..." message appears in the lower left hand corner of my browser and stays there for up to 30 seconds. How can I change the interval at which the cache is refreshed with a new lookup? Once the lookup is performed, I see no reason to repeat it while on the website.

Am using Jaunty 64 bit with an HP Pavilion dv9000/broadcom 4311.

Boondoklife
July 6th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I think I read somewhere firefox only caches dns lookups for 1 minute. There really is a reason for this and it is if a server goes down and they have a round robin setup going then unless you are asking for a new IP rather frequently then you will not know it and get the server can not be found errors. You may want to lookinto useing a third party dns like opendns to see if it loads faster for you.

superprash2003
July 6th, 2009, 05:41 PM
if lookups take a long time for you which is noticeable then you should try changing to another DNS Server like opendns

slickflick
July 6th, 2009, 06:34 PM
my linksys router caches DNS lookups, but I'm using that as my primary DNS, not everyone does this.