PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.04 Keeps Freezing

Booky
July 5th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I just got this computer yesterday, and the system constantly freezes (every 30 sec- 20 min). The longer I use it, the oftener it freezes. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't do anything, so I have to manually restart it. I put Vista on it for a bit, and there was no freezing there.

The computer's assembled from parts, I could probably get a list if that helps.

Booky
July 5th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Anyone?

ivanvajar
July 5th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Is your RAM all right?

Booky
July 5th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I'm pretty sure; what exactly do you mean by that?

ivanvajar
July 5th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Computers often freeze when something's wrong with RAM. You can test your RAM using Ubuntu LiveCD.

LewRockwell
July 5th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I just got this computer yesterday, and the system constantly freezes (every 30 sec- 20 min). The longer I use it, the oftener it freezes. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't do anything, so I have to manually restart it. I put Vista on it for a bit, and there was no freezing there.

The computer's assembled from parts, I could probably get a list if that helps.

Questions:

Did you receive a pieced together computer from someone else or did you piece it together yourself yesterday?

Either way, is the inside clean and debris free and are all the sticks of ram seated properly in clean slots?

How is the thermal compound between the processer and the heatsink?
(I recommend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007)

Use the LiveCD and see if it does the same thing?

Booky
July 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Ivanjar: My brother (who assembled the computer) ran a memcheck for six hours yesterday, RAM seems OK.
LewRockwell: It's clean and everything's in place, I don't know which thermal compound's in use.

I just found that the propeller on a heatsink attached to the motherboard's not spinning, so that's probably the problem. I'm not sure what the part is, though - it's labeled IE&X and it's about 2" by 5". If someone could tell me what part it is and where to get a replacement, that would be great.

Thanks for all the help!

LewRockwell
July 5th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Ivanjar: My brother (who assembled the computer) ran a memcheck for six hours yesterday, RAM seems OK.
LewRockwell: It's clean and everything's in place, I don't know which thermal compound's in use.

I just found that the propeller on a heatsink attached to the motherboard's not spinning, so that's probably the problem. I'm not sure what the part is, though - it's labeled IE&X and it's about 2" by 5". If someone could tell me what part it is and where to get a replacement, that would be great.

Thanks for all the help!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=cooling+fan&x=0&y=0

Booky
July 5th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks!

Booky
July 6th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Never mind, apparently the fan wasn't plugged in on purpose to prevent noise, and it still froze after I plugged it in, so I'm back to where I was. Any help?

And I don't have the LiveCD, so I can't do anything that involves that.

Booky
July 7th, 2009, 02:45 AM
So any more ideas?

overdrank
July 7th, 2009, 05:59 PM
New thread here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1206675)
Thread closed