PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to VNC via SSH from Windows (putty) to Ubuntu?

diablo75
July 5th, 2009, 01:09 AM
A friend of mine and I have setup a server at my house that we can both VNC into as well as SSH. I've done VNC over SSH from ubuntu to ubuntu using the "-via" option on vncviewer in the terminal, and that's quite easy, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to do this over putty from a Windows machine to the Ubuntu server.

Edit: Nevermind. Just found this via google. Pretty simple:

http://www.linuxreaders.com/2009/06/09/vnc-over-ssh-windows/

wojox
July 5th, 2009, 01:16 AM
It's been a while since windows but I believe you open PuTTY

Enter host name and port
use protocol ssh

Then on the left side under ssh click on Tunnels
Add source port and destination

JohnnySage50307
July 7th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I have to do this for school alot. Assuming you have a working vncserver on your ubuntu machine, you want to do the following:

From PuTTY:
1. Enter the Hostname of the server (either IP or DNS).
2. In the connection settings, expand the SSH tab and click on X11; check the "Enable X11 forwarding" box.
3. Open!

From the Terminal:
1. Type "vncserver". Typically, this will assign you the first available open port and viewing settings. I don't sugest trying to statically define the port assignment, however you can change your viewing settings. You might want to look at the man-page for vncserver to get a feel for it. If this is the first time you're accessing the VNCserver, it may ask you for a password that is 8 characters or less.

Back on your computer:
1. You need to open a VNCviewer or VNCclient. I sugest TightVNC. From there, enter the Hostname followed by a colon and the assigned port number (e.g. mybox.org:1).
2. Enjoy your VNC session!
3. When you are finished, close your VNCviewer/Client, then go back to your SSH terminal...

Back on PuTTY:
1. Type "vncserver -kill :LOG" where LOG is the assigned port number (make sure the colon is there!). If you do not do this, three things can result:
A. You can just reopen your VNCviewer/client whenever you want and resume your
session.
B. Someone can hack into your system rather easily (128^8 might seem like a
large number, but simple hacking programs can crack that in about a minute).
C. If you reopen vncserver enough times, all the ports get filled, the system grinds
to a halt, and you need to say a rosary whenever you restart your server from its
crash!

Have fun and good luck!!

dnoyeb
May 10th, 2011, 04:30 AM
when you use VNC client to connect, like so "mybox.org:1", that '1' is not a port number. for :1 the port would be 5900.

diablo75
May 12th, 2011, 03:47 AM
when you use VNC client to connect, like so "mybox.org:1", that '1' is not a port number. for :1 the port would be 5900.

Actually it is a port number, albeit a short version of the full "5900". Except the lack of a number means "5900". If it were "1" it would mean "5901". I have to VNC into different PCs at home from work all the time and the second is setup for 5901, but I type ":1" after the hostname.