PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Networking USB Devices

aboatwri
July 4th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I have now spent 2 weeks googling the following but have not found any conclusive solution.

Bascially I have a couple of USB devices that I want to make available on a network. I have seen some very new USB IP hubs but none seem linux compatible. I have also seen some VERY expensive software that seems to do the same.

Specifically I have a laptop that is running ubuntu 9.04. I have a External USB HDD, and one or two other small devices that it would be nice to be able to access via a network address as I have my work laptop (windoze) which could be backedup for example. (speed not that important as I can run it overnight)

Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

ant1

computer13137
July 4th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I haven't had a chance to play with it yet (or a reason) but I believe there is open source software out there to do USB over IP, which is basically what you're asking for.

You may find this link useful, or Google "USB over IP".
http://www.virtualinsanity.com/index.php/2008/11/20/a-slick-usb-over-ip-solution-that-i-use-every-day/

Cheers,
Kirk

aboatwri
August 2nd, 2009, 06:21 PM
I have not found a solution as such, but I am looking into NAS/USB routers that have athe ability to make printers, external HDDs available. There is not another thread for that, that I have started.