PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] must a partition be unmounted to use dd to clone/back it up?

Tommmyboy
July 4th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Hi.

I've never seen it explicitly stated anywhere - maybe because it's common knowledge I don't have - and because I don't want to fool around with it testing it out because I've heard it's a very powerful command, but to use dd at the command line to back up a partition, or a full disk for that matter, must the partition/disk you wish to back up/clone be unmounted first?

If the answer is yes, does anyone know if dd could be used in an OS X terminal to back up a Linux partition on a dual boot Mac? My understanding, via the wisdom of Cyberdork, is that using Disk Utility to create DMG clones of partitions that are formatted with a system other than HFS+ or one of its variants isn't possible, which makes me question the use of dd in OS X to clone anything other than HFS+ volumes only because I have no idea if there is a relationship between the function of the Disk Utility app and dd.

Thanks in advance.

To those in the States, happy BBQ Day ("independence" is so subjective, lol).

nathanid95
December 6th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Yes, DD doesn't work on mounted volumes. It sounds like you can do what you need by creating a disk image of the disk from Disk Utility.

P.S. From what I've seen, Disk Utility is simply easier to use.

Correction: I was wrong. Thank you, Dennis, for pointing this out. And excuse me for attempting to answer a previously unanswered question.

buntuLo
December 6th, 2009, 02:12 PM
dd is my standard backup tool, i use it for partitions and more often full disks. just run it from a linux livecd on unmounted partitions/disks. why do you need macosx to backup linux partitions?

dennis123123
December 6th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Yes, DD doesn't work on mounted volumes. It sounds like you can do what you need by creating a disk image of the disk from Disk Utility.

P.S. From what I've seen, Disk Utility is simply easier to use.

You've bumped a topic from July, and replied with bogus information!

DD *does* work on mounted volumes, it is what is known in the forensics world as a "live acquisition"

test it if you like -
sudo dd if=/dev/sda bs=1k count=1 | xxdwill show you the first kilobyte of your hard disk, in hex.

shortmort37
August 29th, 2010, 08:08 PM
You've bumped a topic from July, and replied with bogus information!

DD *does* work on mounted volumes, it is what is known in the forensics world as a "live acquisition"

test it if you like -
sudo dd if=/dev/sda bs=1k count=1 | xxdwill show you the first kilobyte of your hard disk, in hex.

OK - so, here's another question: If I have a running system on /dev/sda0, and an available partition (same size) on /dev/sdb0 (both with swap space on sdx1) - and, I cron

sudo dd if /dev/sda0 /dev/sdb0

nightly, when the system is quiescent - do I have a reasonable expectation that, if sda were to fail - I could swap sdb in its place, and be able to boot from it?

Dan