PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] apt marks packages are "no longer needed" when they are!!

gamblor01
July 3rd, 2009, 03:17 AM
I keep getting this message whenever I install something with apt-get:

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
sametime-connect ibm-lotus-cae ibm-lotus-activities ibm-lotus-notes
ibm-lotus-notes-fixes libeel2-data ttf-xfree86-nonfree ibm-lotus-notes-8.5
t1-xfree86-nonfree libeel2-2 ibm-lotus-notes-compat
The problem is, this message is nonsense. I absolutely need Lotus Notes and Sametime. In fact, I had this problem yesterday when I quickly installed Apache and then removed it. Unfortunately, I didn't read things very carefully when I typed "sudo apt-get autoremove apache2" and just typed 'Y' and pressed enter. It uninstalled everything related to IBM on my laptop, which is a problem since this is my work laptop and Notes and Sametime are how I communicate with everyone at work.

I wanted to upgrade from Hardy anyway, so instead of just reinstalling the .deb packages from /var/cache/apt/archives, I spent all day today at work reinstalling everything. Now that I am running Jaunty and have everything reinstalled and configured the way I want it to, apt is again telling me these packages are not necessary (probably because I removed Lotus Symphony?).

Is there a way I can override what apt is telling me here? I would like to mark the packages above as necessary so that apt doesn't remove them if I happen to remove another package with autoremove.

linuxmagick
July 3rd, 2009, 03:31 AM
You could try doing
sudo aptitude keep-all
You can read more about it by looking at the man page for aptitude
man aptitude.

Those packages apt wants to remove were probably dependencies of another app that you removed. If it were me, I would
sudo apt-get autoremove to remove them and then try installing only the applications that I want again. However, the first command I gave, should tell apt to un-mark those packages for removal. Haven't used it myself, though, so no promises.

CatKiller
July 3rd, 2009, 03:57 AM
Is there a way I can override what apt is telling me here? I would like to mark the packages above as necessary so that apt doesn't remove them if I happen to remove another package with autoremove.

Go into Synaptic. Find the packages that you want to keep. Deselect the Package -> Automatically installed option.

gamblor01
July 3rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
sudo aptitude keep-all works perfectly. Thanks!