PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ADSL with wireless

surajullas
July 2nd, 2009, 08:25 PM
Hi frnds
i have a desktop and laptop
i want to connect to wireless ADSL but though i can see it on my laptop i am unable to connect as it always ends in an disconnectd message

i think i have to enter my username and password for the broadband connection for acessing the wireless but don't know how plz help me

computer13137
July 3rd, 2009, 03:59 PM
OK, I think the reason nobody answered your question is because it doesn't make sense. I'm kind of confused by what you mean too. :|

That being said, I'm going to subscribe to this thread in case I can help you further, but first I need a few things cleared up.

1) When you say "wireless ADSL" do you mean your friend has ADSL and a wireless router, and you are trying to connect to the router? There is no such thing as "wireless ADSL".

2) If the wireless network is encrypted, it may need a WEP or WPA key to gain access. Your friend should know this because they would need to use it to gain access to the network too. However, the wireless router has nothing to do with the credentials for the ADSL. The access code is quite likely a different password.

-Kirk

superprash2003
July 3rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
post output of
1)sudo iwlist scan
2)iwconfig

does it give any error when you try to connect?

surajullas
July 4th, 2009, 02:00 PM
OK, I think the reason nobody answered your question is because it doesn't make sense. I'm kind of confused by what you mean too. :|

That being said, I'm going to subscribe to this thread in case I can help you further, but first I need a few things cleared up.

1) When you say "wireless ADSL" do you mean your friend has ADSL and a wireless router, and you are trying to connect to the router? There is no such thing as "wireless ADSL".

2) If the wireless network is encrypted, it may need a WEP or WPA key to gain access. Your friend should know this because they would need to use it to gain access to the network too. However, the wireless router has nothing to do with the credentials for the ADSL. The access code is quite likely a different password.

-Kirk
hi computer13137
1)
i will explain more so that u can help me
i have a ADSL modem/router that is i have both wired and wireless
it is connected to my desktop (win XP) through the wired connection
i want to connect it to my laptop with ubuntu9.04 through the wireless connection

2)
i am a complete newbie to ubuntu in terms of connecting to internet but have used it earlier for multimedia purposes

i have a username and password which i don't know where to give for this wireless connection

when i boot my laptop and switch on my wireless i see my wireless connection but i am unable to connect to internet bcoz of the obvious reason that i have to give the username and password but i don't know where

can u plz help me step by step???

surajullas
July 4th, 2009, 07:33 PM
post output of
1)sudo iwlist scan
2)iwconfig

does it give any error when you try to connect?
1)
suraj@surajs-DELL:~$ sudo iwlist scan
[sudo] password for suraj:
lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:1B:DA:49:44:BD
ESSID:"UTStarcom"
Mode:Master
Channel:11
Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
Quality=100/100 Signal level:-34 dBm Noise level=-87 dBm
Encryption key:off
IE: Unknown: 0009555453746172636F6D
IE: Unknown: 010882848B962430486C
IE: Unknown: 03010B
IE: Unknown: 2A0100
IE: Unknown: 2F0100
IE: Unknown: 32040C121860
IE: Unknown: DD090010180200F4000000
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
Extra:tsf=0000000042bc6183
Extra: Last beacon: 48ms ago

pan0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
2)

suraj@surajs-DELL:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"UTStarcom"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=15 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

pan0 no wireless extensions.

no there is no error message as such just that after trying to connect i get the reply disconnected

computer13137
July 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I think you will find this easy to follow: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/wireless-connecting.html

Cheers,
Kirk

surajullas
July 6th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I think you will find this easy to follow: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/wireless-connecting.html

Cheers,
Kirk
i tried it out but i am not sure what type of security is in use first of all.
what i know is i have a username and password i tried leap in all the other security i can't see a place to enter my username and password

also i am not sure if 8.04 and 9.04 has the same network manager

computer13137
July 6th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Sorry, my bad for linking you to the wrong page.

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/internet/C/connecting-wireless.html

Additionally, your ADSL password will not work. My guess is you have WEP. I've never seen any routers that use LEAP.

If you go to your router's wireless configuration page you can configure security settings.

-Kirk

surajullas
July 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Sorry, my bad for linking you to the wrong page.

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/internet/C/connecting-wireless.html

Additionally, your ADSL password will not work. My guess is you have WEP. I've never seen any routers that use LEAP.

If you go to your router's wireless configuration page you can configure security settings.

-Kirk
can u plz tell me how to find my routers wireless configuration page

i have already tried 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.0

but both has no reply

ok i will get back soon

computer13137
July 6th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Could you paste the results of the following command so we can see how your network is setup?

ifconfig

Cheers,
Kirk

surajullas
July 10th, 2009, 06:20 AM
thank you

i have atlast connected to wireless through ubuntu

it is working well

what i did was

1) Resetted the modem
2) Got into the configuration page to change my connection from bridge to PPOE by giving my usename and password in the modem (sorry but i didnt knew it until recently)
but i have one question

1)is there some way that the modem is connected in bridge mode itself and still i can connect to it through wireless itself???