PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Really slow FTP

Connoro
July 2nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 with all the latest updates installed and I'm having a bit of a dilemma. Every FTP client I use is transferring data incredibly slowly, transfers continually stall, and sometimes incredibly small files refuse to transfer altogether.

This is consistent with gFTP and FileZilla. It's not my Internet speed and it's not the server because I can transfer data using FileZilla on my Vista installation fine with no stalling or slowdown whatsoever.

What's the problem?

computer13137
July 3rd, 2009, 04:00 PM
Is it just FTP, or are there any other protocols that are slowing down too?

-Kirk

bakechad
July 17th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I'm having the same exact problem.

bigalanisfan
August 7th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) seems to have an ftp bug. When i login from it to an ftp server, it waits very much, and i can't do many things during this waiting period. For example i can't open menus or activate other windows clicking on the tray. I used a former Ubuntu version in the past, and it hasn't got this problem.

vex21
November 26th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Same here, Filezilla just lags, no matter what ftp server I try. What is surprising is that the lags occur when downloading files, when I'm uploading, it doesn't seem to be that bad. I couldn't find any other ftp client with GUI that would suit me so I just learned to use ncftp, which is command line based and I'm quite happy with it. But it still beats me why Filezilla is so slow and the windows even goes grey as it doesn't answer.

bigalanisfan
November 26th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I use gFTP. I only download small files, so i don't know how it handles biger files or uploading, but i'm pleased with it.

shields
March 30th, 2010, 09:41 PM
So -- now I am having this problem in 9.10.

Any solution?

techrush
February 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Had this problem on 9.04 and am now experiencing it on 10.04. Anyone found a listed bug for this anywhere ? I found this thread through google...

Sure makes it hard to use ubuntu as a web development machine with broken/slow ftp....