PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] What did you use before Ubuntu One?

Patrick Snyder
July 2nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Hi, I'm on the waiting list for Ubuntu One.

But I find myself in a weird situation where I have to quickly share 1.3GB of Open Office documents with someone using a Mac. I have Ubuntu and WinXP. The size is high because of all of the pictures in them.

I'm going to try sending them via IM, but due to time differences, some kind of online file storage would be ideal.

So I'm wondering what other online file storage solutions other people have used.

Mia1990
July 2nd, 2009, 07:07 PM
while i wait for ubuntu one i use dropbox it gets the job done but i be glad when ubuntu one gets here.

juancarlospaco
July 3rd, 2009, 06:17 AM
Nothing, there's no secure cloud storage freely avaliable, DropBox is pretty unsecure.

cprofitt
July 3rd, 2009, 06:40 PM
SkyDrive (http://skydrive.live.com/) - 25GB free storage.

PhoHammer
July 10th, 2009, 03:25 AM

Isn't that a 50 MB file size limit? Is the OP's files smaller than or equal to 50 MB?

I use skydrive from time to time, but the upload process (limits you to 5 files at a time if
not using IE) annoys me.

Ubuntu One is the best thing I've seen, as it jives with my OS, but I would like to see a
bigger capacity for the free subscription. It will probably happen eventually so I'm
not too worried...

philcamlin
July 10th, 2009, 03:31 AM
i cant wait for one im on the waiting list :(

Clorow
July 11th, 2009, 05:57 AM
If it limits you to 5 files at a time, try using the User-Agent Switcher addon if you're using Firefox. If you're using something else, well, I don't know what to say.

PhoHammer
July 12th, 2009, 07:11 PM
If it limits you to 5 files at a time, try using the User-Agent Switcher addon if you're using Firefox. If you're using something else, well, I don't know what to say.

You have to use IE and then install the "RichUpload" tool, which is a .msi file...

A. J. Rimmer
July 12th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Skydrive seems a good choice if the 50 MB limit on individual files is not a problem. If security is a concern you can encrypt them with PGP.

The five files at a time thing is cumbersome but not impossible to live with.

nelio2k
July 13th, 2009, 11:47 PM
www.adrive.com

50 Gigs of free storage with Java uploader. It solves the problem of msi files for skydrive, and gets double the storage space than skydrive.

RealG187
July 14th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I use Ubuntu one for quick backup of files before I get a chance to back them up to my backup hard drive. I can simply store them there and if my hard drive failes, I reinstall and Ubuntu One downloads the files back*. Before this I used an SD Card (Which was actually a Micro SD Card in an adapter)

* Or so it should:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7612441#post7612441

bhishan
July 14th, 2009, 03:37 AM
www.adrive.com

50 Gigs of free storage with Java uploader. It solves the problem of msi files for skydrive, and gets double the storage space than skydrive.

I used to use this but all of a sudden it stopped working. Most of the times I could not log in and when I would get logged in most of my files would be missing. Nowadays I use dropbox. I just use it for data files so its enough for me. I have got the ubuntu one subscription but its very slow compared to dropbox. Is someone else too having this problem?

jpeddicord
July 14th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Dropbox, and I still do use it. Ubuntu One just doesn't yet compare to the feature set of Dropbox, but it's getting there.

PhoHammer
July 14th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I used to use this but all of a sudden it stopped working. Most of the times I could not log in and when I would get logged in most of my files would be missing. Nowadays I use dropbox. I just use it for data files so its enough for me. I have got the ubuntu one subscription but its very slow compared to dropbox. Is someone else too having this problem?

I can't seem to get adrive's java uploader to work... And they sounded promising, even
allowing me to upload entire directories. I just realized that ubuntu one let's me do this,
but I'm hesitant to get too attached to a service so closely linked to a specific distro (I
like to hop and I know that Chrome OS is going to be calling my name..)

RealG187
July 14th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I have got the ubuntu one subscription but its very slow compared to dropbox. Is someone else too having this problem?
I notice it takes a while and I made a thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1212604

krul
July 14th, 2009, 01:00 PM
www.spideroak.com (http://www.spideroak.com)

and still using it, it has much more features and is secure!

and much cheaper :)

flyingdutchman1978
July 14th, 2009, 10:49 PM
For security with using Dropbox or other similar tools, use TrueCrypt to create a container and then place your files in the container and sync the container.. Makes all the documents completely encrypted. :)

Just my 2 cents :)

Mia1990
July 15th, 2009, 06:51 AM
For security with using Dropbox or other similar tools, use TrueCrypt to create a container and then place your files in the container and sync the container.. Makes all the documents completely encrypted. :)

Just my 2 cents :)

Amen to that

travamiel
July 16th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I used Dropbox, but I want Canonical to start making money, so I started using Ubuntu One.

RealG187
July 16th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I used Dropbox, but I want Canonical to start making money, so I started using Ubuntu One.That is a good point. Even if you don't use Ubuntu One that much or it's not as good compared to other software, atleast you are supporting Ubuntu!

Does Canonical have any sources of income? Like they ship free Ubuntu CDs (they don't even charge for the cost of the media or shipping, or time it takes to make them [well I guess that goes under cost of the media]. I guess that comes from donations they get.)

jimv
July 16th, 2009, 07:34 AM
My webhost (hostgator.com) has a feature in the CPanel for a "WebDisk". Basically this creates a webdav folder that can be mounted in Windows, Mac, and Linux. Space is limited to what your hosting account is limited to, which in my case, is unlimited for $8/mo.

TuckLive
July 16th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I'm not a big fan of "the cloud" just yet so this is my first experience. I'm in beta now and I'm only keeping simple files in it.

fragos
July 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I'd been using Unison between my desktop and laptop on my LAN. Primarily I was synching workin in progress and keeping a backup as an extra benefit. This is my 1st attempt at cloud storage. It is a bit slow but does run in the background and terminating before the transfer is complete really messes things up. Now I know to watch for the logo to stop spinning.

AlanRick
July 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Doesn't this undermine dropbox's algorithm for transferring changes in files (e.g. new mail in thunderbird database) rather than the complete file (e.g. whole thunderbird database)?

What is unsecure about dropbox? The fact that it is only protected by password?
What better security does UbuntuOne offer over dropbox?

fragos
July 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Doesn't this undermine dropbox's algorithm for transferring changes in files (e.g. new mail in thunderbird database) rather than the complete file (e.g. whole thunderbird database)?

What is unsecure about dropbox? The fact that it is only protected by password?
What better security does UbuntuOne offer over dropbox?

Dropbox is accessable via any browser and OS. Ubuntu One can only be accessed by an Ubuntu system running an Ubuntu One Linux application. A disadvantage if you wish to share with an MS system but definitly a harder approach to hack.

AlanRick
July 19th, 2009, 10:40 PM
A disadvantage if you wish to share with an MS system but definitly a harder approach to hack.
Thanks. I am using it for backup rather than filesharing so I'll stick with it.
But I wish canonical every success Ubuntu One and I'd trust them more than anyone with my data once it's fully mature.

sfantus1
July 24th, 2009, 12:57 PM
If you have Windows you might want to take a look at live mesh it`s just great ... you can chose the folders you want to sink and that`s it also you get 5GB free online space ... and it also works on mac .... for ubuntu i think there is a service spider oack that also works nice and dropbox

but live mesh it far better than all i`m waiting for something like that on Linux

ssdt
July 25th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Isn't that for Skydrive you have to upload the file all the time but in Ubuntu one and Dropbox you just have to drag and drop and the uploading doesn't even seem like an upload.

GolemdX
August 2nd, 2009, 04:57 AM
I would use ubuntu one, but I got a Dropbox beta invite a while ago also. I would switch, but I normally use it to sync files with my friend, a Windows user.

ericab
August 2nd, 2009, 05:14 AM
speaking of dropbox, you should check it out, its quite nice.
check it out here for your free account today!

Dropbox! (https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTY2OTYyOQ)

PhoHammer
August 2nd, 2009, 07:17 PM
speaking of dropbox, you should check it out, its quite nice.
check it out here for your free account today!

Dropbox! (https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTY2OTYyOQ)

Blatant self-serving advertisement lol

TeoK
August 7th, 2009, 01:39 AM
I use Dropbox.

Ubuntu One doesnt work for me .

It fails to connect. It fails to open the browser. It fails to 'report the problem'.

I think it's another rushed project.

AlanRick
August 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I used Dropbox, but I want Canonical to start making money, so I started using Ubuntu One.
I use Dropbox to show other innovative companies that there's money to be made from supporting Ubuntu :D

HughJarse
February 4th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Dropbox is the best. Wouldn't pay for it though. Too expensive right now.

overdrank
February 4th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Back to sleep thread. Thread closed.