PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Firefox Build

gastly
July 1st, 2009, 07:31 PM
Hi all :)
I was just learning how to compile firefox 3.5 from source and I did that too!

The build completed without errors and it ran flawlessly. But the problem is that, the name appears as 'Shiretoko' everywhere, in the about box as well as the titlebar.

Is there any way to change that? I mean, I'd like it to have the name 'Mozilla Firefox' instead of 'Shiretoko' :P (who wouldn't :P )

Pleas help me out here :)

- gastly

wojox
July 1st, 2009, 07:37 PM
Firefox 3.5 code-named Shiretoko

gastly
July 1st, 2009, 07:48 PM
yes I know, but I meant is there any way to change that so it looks like an official build?
I know the Ubuntu repository folks compile it with the official name...

gastly
July 2nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
ok, I've found out the solution...
you just need to add:

ac_add_options --enable-official-branding

to your mozconfig file! :)

EDIT: But be careful, mozilla's distribution policy prohibits the distribution of mozilla's logo and it's brand name with custom builds of their product, so...you can't distribute your builds with that options enabled :)

But, now I have another question...

Which graphics toolkit is the best when it comes to font rendering?
I've tried alot but I can't get my firefox build to get fonts to render as smoothly as the ubuntu repository build...

So, can anyone tell me which toolkit to use and which option to choose, from xft and freetype2? :)

lovinglinux
July 2nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
I have compiled Firefox too and have a few questions. Can I hijack your thread since your problem is solved?

First question:

I have created a tutorial on how to compile Firefox and want some opinions if it sucks or if it is ok. The tutorial is in the last section of Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567).

Second question:

Everything went fine with my compilation and Firefox is running with 30% performance improvement. What I don't know is how to install the compiled version on another machine.

When I did the make install, it installed Firefox on /usr/local/lib/firefox-3.5, but I don't know what should I copy to another machine. There are similar folders in ~/mozilla/dist/firefox/, which is owned by root, and ~/mozilla/dist/bin/

gastly
July 3rd, 2009, 12:16 PM
I have compiled Firefox too and have a few questions. Can I hijack your thread since your problem is solved?

First question:

I have created a tutorial on how to compile Firefox and want some opinions if it sucks or if it is ok. The tutorial is in the last section of Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567).

Second question:

Everything went fine with my compilation and Firefox is running with 30% performance improvement. What I don't know is how to install the compiled version on another machine.

When I did the make install, it installed Firefox on /usr/local/lib/firefox-3.5, but I don't know what should I copy to another machine. There are similar folders in ~/mozilla/dist/firefox/, which is owned by root, and ~/mozilla/dist/bin/

Hi lovinglinux :)
Your tut is cool! Nice work :)

Now, if you want to install your firefox onto another machine, you will have to make a package out of it.
Do this:

First of all cd into the objdir (default is: ff-opt) and once in there run the command:

make package

The package will then be created in the ff-opt/dist/ directory.

Hope this helps, good luck :)

- gastly

utkjamie
July 3rd, 2009, 03:51 PM
ok, I've found out the solution...
you just need to add:

ac_add_options --enable-official-brandingto your mozconfig file! :)

Where is the mozconfig file located under Ubuntu?

lovinglinux
July 3rd, 2009, 04:56 PM

Thanks

Now, if you want to install your firefox onto another machine, you will have to make a package out of it.
Do this:

First of all cd into the objdir (default is: ff-opt) and once in there run the command:

make package

The package will then be created in the ff-opt/dist/ directory.

Hope this helps, good luck :)

- gastly

Thanks. I got some error, but then I started all over again and now is good.

You have to create that file and put it inside the mozilla source code folder.

gastly
July 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM

This file holds the configuration for compiling firefox from source. So, it's only needed to tell the compiler how to compile firefox.

It can't change the options in a pre-built firefox (that you downloaded via synaptic or the mozilla website), I think you're trying to do that no? Correct me if I'm wrong :)

jts0803odon
July 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
It can't change the options in a pre-built firefox (that you downloaded via synaptic or the mozilla website), I think you're trying to do that no? Correct me if I'm wrong

I think that may be a nightly-tools option in about:config: if

nightly.idtitle default boolean true

is set, then:

nightly.templates.title;${DefaultTitle} (Build ${AppBuildID})

Maybe set nightly.idtitle to false?

lovinglinux
July 3rd, 2009, 07:53 PM

I have updated the tutorial to make it independent of version and also replaced sudo make install with make and sudo checkinstall commands, facilitate the package removal ;)