PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] nvidia drivers stopped working?

zapstrap
July 1st, 2009, 07:02 PM
I have an asus p4p800-vm mobo with the on-board video disabled, P4/3GHz/1GB RAM and a geforce 6200 AGP card. It was working perfectly, hooked up to a plasma display as an htpc. Then it mysteriously stopped. The login screen won't come up. I booted through recovery mode and put the video back to a vesa driver. I tried upgrading the nvidia drivers and re-enabling, same result. I then tried downgrading to 173 and re-enabling. Nothing works. When the machine is nearly ready to pop up a login screen, I get vertical green bars across the screen. I then have to boot in recovery mode and fall back. I tried pulling the card and putting in a machine running XP, played a video game with opengl enabled. It all seems to work. It's either the motherboard, or the driver, and I'm not sure which. I've tried connecting to a couple of different screens, with the same result: vertical green bars, no login prompt. I cannot even flip to a text login screen and kill gdm.

Has anybody got any ideas about how to track down where things are going wrong? I've tried looking through the boot logs, and there doesn't appear to be any complaints from the nvidia driver.

zapstrap
July 3rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Umm...bump?

zapstrap
July 6th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Is there an nvidia forum or some other venue for problems related to the nvidia driver?

wojox
July 6th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Go here

http://forums.nvidia.com/

zapstrap
July 7th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Is there a test procedure that would show me where things are going wrong with the nvidia driver?

zapstrap
August 11th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Anybody? I've been stuck for over a month now, and don't know where to turn for more information.

zapstrap
August 17th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Nevermind. It's a bad motherboard.