PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] Recomended external modem

luckymoonboy1
July 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM
I was wondering if anyone could recomend an external modem that basicly works with ubuntu 8.10 right out of the box. if it has cd to install to make it work and it is simple that will work to. i really need an external modem because i have lost all connection to the internet through my last one. i would prefer to get one from a site like compusa.com or newegg.com or any of those computer part sites like that. i would really appritiate help on this matter.

luckymoonboy1
July 6th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Does anyone even have an external modem for their computer? any type from anywhere will work now, i really need a good modem.

jonobr
July 6th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Hello

Theres a couple of things going against you here.

- People would be hesitant in recommending you pay for a modem and then you buy it, and you have problems.
- Dialup is becoming less known due to broadband reach with DSL/ cable/ wireless data access and so on, so the amount of people who may be able to help you diminishes.

What I would recommend you do, is search the posts, and look for people recently who have gone through setting up dialup service.
You will find a few in the absolute beginner section where people dont know where to start to set these things up, and go through setting up the dialer (wvdial) and gnome-ppp

HERE (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=988472) is a good example of somebody starting from scratch,

I would recommend dropping these people a note and asking the modem they used, their experience,
how it works, was it worth the effort and so on.

That way you can hopefully get an idea of which modem may suit your needs and be able to make an informed buying decision.

luckymoonboy1
July 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the advice. i'll see what i can find, but my time to reseach on the net is limited so this is going to be a loooong processs.