PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphics Card Driver

John Private
July 1st, 2009, 02:10 AM
I really need to download a Driver for me to use 3 D Smoothly and I really need it but when ever it comes up like when I want to apply Visual Effects and I try to Download it. It freezes the first time it actually messed up my Ubuntu Linux then I just ran like the Repair Packages and everything worked again luckily but is there Terminal Code that will download this 3D Driver thing for me.

John Private
July 1st, 2009, 02:20 AM
I really need to download a Driver for me to use 3 D Smoothly and I really need it but when ever it comes up like when I want to apply Visual Effects and I try to Download it. It freezes the first time it actually messed up my Ubuntu Linux then I just ran like the Repair Packages and everything worked again luckily but is there Terminal Code that will download this 3D Driver thing for me.

John Private
July 1st, 2009, 02:24 AM

credobyte
July 1st, 2009, 03:13 AM
Don't mind in telling us, what video card do you have ?

John Private
July 1st, 2009, 03:33 AM

---John

3rdalbum
July 1st, 2009, 03:34 AM
What graphics card do you have?

If it's ATI or Nvidia, both those graphics card vendors make proprietary drivers for Linux, and the absolute latest versions of these can be downloaded from the ATI or Nvidia website. The Hardware Drivers program in Ubuntu is the preferred way to install those graphics drivers, but it will install older versions than what are currently available from the vendor.

If you get stuck installing the driver manually, there are HOWTOs in the "Tutorials and Tips" section of the forum.

overdrank
July 1st, 2009, 03:53 AM
Please do not make multiple threads on the same issue. Threads merged

John Private
July 1st, 2009, 04:31 AM
Don't mind in telling us, what video card do you have ?I have Nvidia.

John Private
July 1st, 2009, 04:58 AM
What graphics card do you have?

If it's ATI or Nvidia, both those graphics card vendors make proprietary drivers for Linux, and the absolute latest versions of these can be downloaded from the ATI or Nvidia website. The Hardware Drivers program in Ubuntu is the preferred way to install those graphics drivers, but it will install older versions than what are currently available from the vendor.

If you get stuck installing the driver manually, there are HOWTOs in the "Tutorials and Tips" section of the forum.Thanks I will try to look for some Tutorials.

overdrank
July 1st, 2009, 05:36 AM
I have Nvidia.

Hi and what version of Ubuntu are you using? If using Jaunty 9.04, have you tried the drivers under system, administration, hardware drivers?
What is the model of the nvidia graphics?
You may use this command in the terminal to identify the graphics

lspci | grep VGA

John Private
July 1st, 2009, 11:43 PM
Hi and what version of Ubuntu are you using? If using Jaunty 9.04, have you tried the drivers under system, administration, hardware drivers?
What is the model of the nvidia graphics?
You may use this command in the terminal to identify the graphics

lspci | grep VGA
All I had to do was look at the Hardware Driver Section and Install 1 of the Graphics Accelerators there. Once again the Ubuntu Forums has helped me again :D

John Private
July 3rd, 2009, 12:15 AM
Solved Thanks Again Everyone.