PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless Working, But Slow And Tempermental

Pomegranete
June 30th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Hey all. I've been running Jackalope for about a week now, but the internet's really starting to annoy me.

It's wireless, using my laptop's internal device. I have had this laptop since January-ish, and I have been able to download from rapidshare.com, where most of my bandwidth goes, at anywhere between 1,100kB/s and 1,200kB/s, which I'm very happy with.

Now, when I download from rs.com, I get a maximum on 300kB/s. All websites are slow, even simple forums.

Although that's annoying, it's not the worst problem. The wireless breaks up constantly. The connection stays, the computer still thinks it is connected, but every five minutes or so, all speed drops to 0 for a bit, which makes my MSN client sign me out, and stops my downloads. The downloads won't restart until I stop and restart it manually using the download manager.

It's driving me crazy. It's not a problem with the wireless card, or laptop, as I've been using the same hardware, in the same place, but with 4x the speed, and no connection issues.

Please, can somebody help me, I would really appreciate it.

DeathMetal
June 30th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Could be something with your router, have you checked you port settings?

Pomegranete
June 30th, 2009, 10:33 PM
It's got nothing to do with anything other than ubuntu. As I said, I've been using everything the same way for months, the only thing that's changed is ubuntu.

superprash2003
July 1st, 2009, 07:56 AM
take a look at this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1146367