PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot repair/upgrade while dependencies are unmet. How to fix?

Redsandro
June 30th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Hi,

I have Ubuntu 8.04 running for a long time now on my server. When I wanted to update the old Gnome Planner from the repo to the latest 0.14.4 one, I had one "unsatisfied dependency" for libgconf2-4.

I had this probably stupid idea that a new libgconf was backwars compatible so I upgraded that. Suddenly I had many problems and the terminal told me to run "apt-get install -f"

This command gave many more problems and quit with a message "too many errors, quitting."

The target computer is a hidden away server without monitor or keyboard and I'm doing everything through putty or vnc. Ever since the first dependency problem it won't boot into gui anymore (probably my session won't start) so I can only use the terminal through putty.

I just want it back to normal, or upgraded. I don't really care because it worked perfectly for what it was supposed to do.

I don't just want to do a reinstall, because there's a LOT of data spread out in /var, a lot of scripts running in my main autologin session, and probably a lot of customizations I am forgetting right now. A reinstall causes all partitions except /home to be reformatted.

I figured a dist-upgrade might as well fix the problems, so I tried one. Errors suggested to run dpkg --configure -a. But when I do, a few hundred packages get parsed each with this output:

Removing [whatever] ...
gconftool-2: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgconf-2.so.4: undefined symbol: g_dgettext
dpkg: error processing [whatever] (--remove):
subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 127

There you have it, all errors based on the package that was unmet in the first place and is now bad because I messed with it, and I don't know what is all messed because of the -f and -a fixes I tried.

Can I still fix this?