PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Programs on Different Drive from CD

Slave2
June 30th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I want to run the Ubantu OS from the CD but Install additional downloaded
programs to a Pendrive or Harddrive.

Reason is to start with a clean copy of OS each boot.

Is it possible and how?

nandemonai
July 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure if what you want exactly is possible (though it could be) but if your machine supports booting off USB then a better option would be to create a USB startup disk and use that. You can then set aside a certain amount of the flash storage for persistence.

Slave2
July 1st, 2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks

I first tried it on my Pen Drive, ran slow, so I put it on a USB HDrive.

My main concern is having an unaltered OS which the CD does provide
but, I don't trust anything hooked to SpyNet.

If there is a way to hack in they will, running from a CD keeps their hacking from being permanent.

I just want to install more programs then are on the CD.

s3a
July 1st, 2009, 11:15 PM
If you're concerned about being hacked, just use a router (which has a firewall) as well as a software firewall like firestarter and block all the necessary ports (=default behaviour of firestarter)! Ubuntu is very secure or hacker proof!

nandemonai
July 2nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks

I first tried it on my Pen Drive, ran slow, so I put it on a USB HDrive.

My main concern is having an unaltered OS which the CD does provide
but, I don't trust anything hooked to SpyNet.

If there is a way to hack in they will, running from a CD keeps their hacking from being permanent.

I just want to install more programs then are on the CD.

Here is a viable solution then. This may be possible from a live disc but will be a hassle, you're better off doing it from a hard install or USB install..

remastersys (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/creating-custom-ubuntu-live-cd-with-remastersys.html)

Setup the environment how you want it then use remastersys to create a bootable ISO, burn and Bob's your uncle.

Slave2
July 2nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks for all the help!

Guess I sound paranoid, but I'm trying Linux because I had just got hacked on xp through a router, Norton firewall, virus software
etc. Key logger etc.

I know the government has forced commercial software makers to make a back door in their software so government can get in, and if one exists, others will find it and follow!

I'm using a router and firestarter already, just stumbling around learning to walk all over. :-)

The remastersys may be the key after I graduate from kindagarden! :-) maybe after I removed the things I wouldn't use there might be room.

Anyhow I'm impressed with what Linux has to offer, Ubuntu has done a lot to tame Linux!