PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu by itself ???

NOTAGEEK
June 30th, 2009, 02:58 PM
HI

First post so go easy on me ok ??? I have a new quad core desktop on the way and wanted to install my 9.04 version disk on the hard drive by itself... I looked at the beginners guide and can only find 3 ways to install... It seems that I need to have windows on the hdd before I can install 9.04 !!! Am I missing something ???

The new desktop does not come with an os and I really wanted to try to make this a virgin (never touched by windows) machine if possible...

My question is can I install the 9.04 os on a brand new hdd or do I need to have windows (yukk) first ??? I will be disappointed if I need to install windows first...

Any answers are appreciated and at best I am a novice at computing (see my username) so again please go easy on me... Thanks...

NOTAGEEK

ainsworth_t
June 30th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Since you're not trying to setup a dual-boot environment (with Windows & Ubuntu on the same machine), you can install Ubuntu just fine by itself from the CD, no Windows whatsoever.

akudewan
June 30th, 2009, 03:08 PM
You can boot the CD directly and run the installation. No need for a windows installation. Just change your BIOS settings to boot from the CD, then from the hdd

random turnip
June 30th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Download and mount Ubuntu on the PC you're using now and stick the disk in and follow the simple instructions. It's pretty easy.

sydbat
June 30th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Yes, you can install Ubuntu all by itself.

Just run the live CD, test your new equipment to make sure most things will work, then install it from the "Install" icon on the desktop.

It will walk you through a few steps, ask you a couple of questions, then will install in about 15 minutes. When it reboots (yes, it will prompt you) you will have a nice clean Ubuntu 9.04 install without ever having anything to do with Windows.

I hope that helps.

eriktheblu
June 30th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Quick answer:
Yes you can install Ubuntu by itself without MS Windows.

IF you want to dual boot (have multiple operating systems on one computer) you would install Windows first.

milton1
June 30th, 2009, 03:20 PM
IF you want to dual boot (have multiple operating systems on one computer) you would install Windows first.

Even this is not necessary. You may install Ubuntu, then if you decide you absolutely must have a windows system, you can install it later. Installing windows after ubuntu simply requires one or two extra steps.

Sef
June 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
It seems that I need to have windows on the hdd before I can install 9.04 !!! Am I missing something ???

Only if you are going to use WUBI which sits on a file in Windows.

I built my computer myself and have only used Ubuntu on it.

NOTAGEEK
June 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Thank you all for the quick replies---I appreciate the help...

I hope to never have to deal with Billy Gates again...

NOTAGEEK