PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot install from CD

vaslat29
June 30th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I downloaded the ISO file for Ubuntu 9.04 and copied it onto to CD. When I try to install from the CD, the screen with language option opens up - I select the language and then select 'Install' option. The CD hums for a while and nothing happens after that - this is true for all options in the list except the last one for booting from the hard drive that takes me to Vista the other OS I use.
I have already done the validity check for the ISO file that I downloaded. The other OS I use is Vista (as mentioned above - that I would like to get rid off as soon as possible) - if only I can make Ubuntu work.
Your inputs highly appreciated.

louieb
June 30th, 2009, 12:53 PM
..I have already done the validity check for the ISO file

How? did you choose the check media for defects option?

Try the alternate CD or the net install CD. There both text based installers and have been around longer.

vaslat29
June 30th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I downloaded winMD5Sum verified the downloaded ISO file and got the result as 'MD% Check Sums are the same. However, when I try to check the disc by selecting check disc on the initial screen with the 7 options nothing happens. It is the same with any option that I select except the last which which is boot from hard disc.

thomz92
June 30th, 2009, 02:28 PM
i dont know if this will help, but it can't hurt. boot up to windows and instert the ubuntu 9.04 cd. a menu will pop up. click the button that says "help me boot from cd". it install some files, i dont know what, but apparently it helps. it helped ME at least.

btw, it might help if you give your computer's specs

louieb
June 30th, 2009, 03:13 PM
...when I try to check the disc by selecting check disc on the initial screen with the 7 options nothing happens...

Almost certain you have a bad burn. The Check media for defects options runs series of checksums and displays the results in simple text mode.

Try the burn again. Burn as slow as you can. I burn an ISO at 2X or 4X max.

vaslat29
July 5th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Yes _ i burht it again at a slow pace and it works - thanks

LewRockwell
July 5th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Commentary for future viewers of this thread:

Always back-up anything you aren't willing to lose FOREVER

Always checksum to confirm that what you wanted is REALLY what you received

Always use image/iso burning software and ALWAYS burn ASAP(as slow as possible)

Always use any self-checking functions provided with same said software

Always use LiveCD functions FIRST, through several boots, BEFORE installing

Always attempt to boot ANY media SEVERAL times as the world isn't perfect
(yesterday my Jaunty CD took four boots to work on an Acer Aspire One Netbook)

Always use common sense, good search terms, and a good search engine FIRST...

Then, if NOBODY across the entire world wide interwebs has posted the solution...

Please provide MANDATORY INFORMATION such as: make, model/build number, installed OSes, additional software, accessories/customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a PRECISE and DETAILED account of difficulties!

AND, after you've left us with a thread you can be proud of...please, Please, PLEASE...

PAY-IT-FORWARD and spend a little time every so often helping others!