PDA

View Full Version : remix on a regular laptop?

ubunoobie
June 30th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Hello all,

My question is... can I (or rather, should I) install the netbook remix on a regular laptop. The machine in question is a Dell Inspiron 1000, which is almost 5 years old. It only has 256MB of ram... so my idea was to install a ubuntu flavor that is more lightweight than the full desktop version. Or is it (more lightweight)?

Will the remix run well on a regular notebook? And is it less demanding on ram than desktop ubuntu?

zeroseven0183
June 30th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I haven't tested UNR on an old laptop because as its name suggests, it's designed for netbooks which commonly has Atom processor. But I would recommend that you install Xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.com/) since you mentioned that it only has 256MB of RAM.

Paqman
June 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM
And is it less demanding on ram than desktop ubuntu?

Probably, but not a lot. Recommended minimum RAM is 512MB apparently.

Some other options:
Xubuntu: an official verison of Ubuntu with a (slightly) lighter desktop and lightweight apps preinstalled.
Regular Ubuntu: Will run, but depends how patient you are.
Crunchbang: an unofficial version of Ubuntu using the lightweight Openbox desktop
Buy more RAM off eBay: probably pretty cheap, and would solve all your problems.

Nevyn
June 30th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I run Xubuntu on a 256mb laptop. It runs quite fine, if you don't mind to wait a few extra seconds every time you start a program.

Edit: I also installed Gnome to make it look more like my stationary Ubuntu-computer. Maybe a tip you can use?

binbash
June 30th, 2009, 08:58 AM
It is better to install lighter distro than Ubuntu.

Paqman
June 30th, 2009, 09:09 AM
It is better to install lighter distro than Ubuntu.

Depends what you mean by "better". Ubuntu has really good support, which is a killer feature for a newbie. It may not run the fastest, but it should be easier to troubleshoot any problems.

binbash
June 30th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Depends what you mean by "better". Ubuntu has really good support, which is a killer feature for a newbie. It may not run the fastest, but it should be easier to troubleshoot any problems.

With 256 RAM ubuntu will run so slow (probably can not run) that he will never ever need a support.

And Ubuntu has no support, but ubuntuforums.org community.They are different things.