PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing Brother printer on Ubuntu 8.04?

ghostypaste
June 30th, 2009, 04:02 AM
hello all,
I have :

printer: Brother HL-2140

computer: It's a built computer, and the processor is kinda hidden, so I don't know.. I'd have to check. If it's absolutely necessary to know to solve this problem, I'll figure it out-- but let me know. Thanks.

problem: I want my printer to print-- all it does now is flash its light and warm up when I send it something from the computer.

I looked on the Brother Linux page: http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/
but didn't know how to go from there. Apparently I need to install a driver..
Which driver to install?
What's the difference between CUPS and LPR?
What is a ppd file and how do I know if I have it or have to install it?
And finally.. how would I go about actually installing it? Terminal commands? Or just downloading and clicking on the file?

-----------------------
I researched this a bit and happened to find the following:

Q: I'm using Ubuntu 8.04. I have installed the drivers, but I am still unable to print.

A:
Ubuntu 8.04 does not have /usr/share/cups/model directory where our driver create a ppd file.
Please follow the instruction below when the installation failed with the message about it.

1. Uninstall the cupswrapper driver.
Command : sudo dpkg -P (driver name)

2. Create /usr/share/cups/model directory
Command : sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model

3. Install the cupswrapper driver
Command : sudo dpkg -i --force-all --force-architecture (driver file name)
--------------------

So I suppose I would know what to do once I installed the correct driver, but which one is it? I hope someone can help.

Thanks, and let me know if you need more details.

Elep.Repu
June 30th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I never had to do anything manually- Installation of printer drivers go well through Ubuntu's Printing function (within preferences);
Should detect fine and be pretty straight forward.

Brother is a pretty low grade printer though, I never had the chance to try it out.
Have you tried doing this through Printing already?

I never go to the manufacturer for the drivers. For instance, Nvidia's video drivers don't work as well as the ones provided within the open source community.

HotShotDJ
June 30th, 2009, 05:45 AM
See: http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Brother-HL-2140

AndyCee
July 28th, 2009, 12:29 PM
The CD actually has the driver on it, which you should be able to double-click.

I can't remember exactly how up-to-date the drivers are, so do the following 3 steps in this order, checking if your printer works between steps 2 and 3:

In terminal, type:

sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model

Double-click the brhl2140lpr-2.0.2-1.i386.deb which should be on the CD that came with your printer. I've tried to attach it here too. This SHOULD be the only step necessary.

<check if printer works>

Double-click cupswrapperHL2140-2.0.2-1.i386.deb (which I've attached). This step shouldn't be necessary, but used to be when step 2 was a ppd file.

This is an awesome printer by the way.