PDA

View Full Version : UNR Documentation

jrtapper
June 30th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I am a newbie when it comes to Ubuntu but, I know my way around computers enough to be dangerous.

I have just loaded UNR on a EEE PC 901a as an experiment for work. If I can make this work it might make sense to roll out something like this to our sales reps.

Here is the thing, when I try to figure out how to do something (i.e. connect to another Unix box via SSH or how to delete a launcher from the desktop) I find instructions on how to do this with vanilla Ubuntu. I have downloaded the free Ubuntu booklet and it is great if you are using vanilla, but there is no mention of UNR.

Sorry if this is turning into a rant, but where can one find more info on how to use UNR specifically?

Thanks a million.

rustutzman
June 30th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Sorry I can't help on UNR but while you're looking have a look at eeebuntu too. Choice is good.

Russ

jrtapper
June 30th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Thanks, I will.

What is the difference(s) and where does one get it?

rustutzman
June 30th, 2009, 02:25 AM
you can get eeebuntu http://www.eeebuntu.org. It comes in three flavors of various sizes. I use standard on my 1000he

Russ

mikechant
June 30th, 2009, 02:45 PM
...but where can one find more info on how to use UNR specifically?

UNR is basically just a different appearance for Ubuntu to accomodate smaller screens. Almost anything that works on Ubuntu will work on UNR - applications, terminal commands, config file changes. You just get the application/system menus and the task bar presented differently and some other presentation differences like some windows being resized to fit the screen automatically.

LowSky
June 30th, 2009, 02:53 PM
UNR commands are the same as regular Ubuntu, the only difference is you application menu is on the left in full view

jrtapper
June 30th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Thank you all for your replies!

I spent a lot of time last night looking at UNR and the other netbook distros mentioned above and the most critical thing I learned is that UNR is mostly just the netbook launcher app on top of the normal Ubuntu. Switching to the "normal" UI is pretty easy to switch if you know how to do it. Once you are into the traditional interface, the existing docs seem to work well.

The issue is that it is a challenge to learn this trick. Also, there does not appear to be docs on how to use the Launcher app.

It appears that the other netbook specific distros have the same issue.

Except for this, I am really happy with how UNR works and I will continue to use it and bug you guys about how to make it do the tricks I need it to do.

Thanks again!