PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Don't have permission to play movie dvd

burrhead1
June 30th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I just downloaded Ubuntu 9.04 and I can't get movie dvds to play. After I insert the dvd and go thru the steps to play it I get a message to the effect "you don't have permission or authorization to play". I get this type of message with both the Ubuntu Movie Player and VLC. I purchased the dvd from Amazon and it will play on Windows and Mac laptops. I am not trying to rip the movie but only to play it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. burrhead1

colau
June 30th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I just downloaded Ubuntu 9.04 and I can't get movie dvds to play. After I insert the dvd and go thru the steps to play it I get a message to the effect "you don't have permission or authorization to play". I get this type of message with both the Ubuntu Movie Player and VLC. I purchased the dvd from Amazon and it will play on Windows and Mac laptops. I am not trying to rip the movie but only to play it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. burrhead1

gksudo nautilus

colau
June 30th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Did you install libdvdcss2?

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/musicvideophotos/C/video-dvd.html

burrhead1
July 1st, 2009, 05:25 AM
Many thanks for the advise colua. Followed the link you provided, downloaded the software and now I'm playing the dvds. Best regards, burrhead1

colau
July 1st, 2009, 05:57 AM
Many thanks for the advise colua. Followed the link you provided, downloaded the software and now I'm playing the dvds. Best regards, burrhead1
Welcome.

loboc
July 1st, 2009, 06:05 AM
gksudo nautilus

this may be a mistake. then your whole desktop environment has root access

sudo adduser 'name' disc will add you to the group of users allowed to manipulate the discs

3rdalbum
July 1st, 2009, 06:07 AM
double-post

3rdalbum
July 1st, 2009, 06:09 AM
sudo adduser 'name' disc will add you to the group of users allowed to manipulate the discs

It was a DVD decryption issue, not a permissions issue.