PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to select gnome-panel with no mouse?

BastardNamban
June 29th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I ran into a problem the other day in 8.04, forgot to pack a mouse on my trip (thought I had, forgot). I know of the general trick of selecting with keyboard TAB button when you have no mouse, but I wanted to activate my touchpad, always turned off when I use a mouse (always), as my touchpad doesn't work all that well...

I found that the only things I couldn't select were anything on the gnome-panel bar (that would lead me to mouse settings, and thus turning on sketchy but semi-functional touchpad), and the menu bar for any window.

I am sure selecting the menu bar is something simple, and I'll keep googling for an answer to that on my own- I think it's something I ought to already know, but selecting the gnome panel seems not so obvious.

I'd like an option that turns it off if a mouse is detected, and on if one isn't, so brushing it while typing had no effect, but no option like that yet exists, at least in my version of Ubuntu.

SO: Is there a way to select and navigate the gnome panel locations (ie here: system) with only my keyboard so that I could turn the touchpad on in the future if I needed to?

beastrace91
June 29th, 2009, 11:34 PM
alt+f1 is the default to drop down the applications bar, from there use the arrow keys to navigate over to system.

~Jeff

Sealbhach
June 29th, 2009, 11:40 PM
You could do Alt+F2 then type gnome-mouse-properties

but then the Touchpad settings are on a different tab, you can just arrow right to get to them.

BastardNamban
June 30th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Sealbhach, that worked perfectly! Thank you.

Beastrace, I tried what you mentioned- it didn't work, and I suspect it's something to do with all the hotkey stuff I've setup. Just hitting F1 gives me an error message for the help file, and F1 and ALT do nothing to highlight the gnome-panel. Could it be something I assigned in compizsettings manager that's messing it up?

In any case, I can now enable the touchpad in event of fogetting the mouse- a huge help. Thanks!

BastardNamban
July 31st, 2009, 07:07 AM
alt+f1 is the default to drop down the applications bar, from there use the arrow keys to navigate over to system.

~Jeff

I know it's dredging up an old post, but I recently reconfigured to try using a dock. I really want to be able to select the gnome panel with a key combo, then use the arrow keys to move around, like I can using TAB in file view windows.

Can anyone tell me where this supposed key combo is set at? It doesn't seem to show up in compiz settings manager anywhere, and If I could use this, I could nearly get rid of the mouse.