PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] krita, simple question - add text?

mpennell
June 29th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Does anybody know how you add text in Krita. You'd think this would be obvious, but I click the Text tool, click the image, a popup appears in which I am apparnetly supposed to add my text, I do this, click OK, and ... nothing. No text actually appears anywhere.

This shouldn't be a complicated thing, but apparently it is.

starcraft.man
June 29th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Does anybody know how you add text in Krita. You'd think this would be obvious, but I click the Text tool, click the image, a popup appears in which I am apparnetly supposed to add my text, I do this, click OK, and ... nothing. No text actually appears anywhere.

This shouldn't be a complicated thing, but apparently it is.

You sure your doing it right? Might be hard to see if your on a transparent background. Set it to a white background at the start, then just click and type. Works without any trouble for me, and I don't know of any bugs associated with text input. When you select the text tool, go to top right and make sure opacity set to 100.

Can't think of anything else that'd stop it from showing up. Try again and report back.

Oh and make sure your not zoomed out to like 5%, then you'd never see the standard 9 pixel text on a large canvas like that.

mpennell
June 29th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Hmm. Well, I don't know what's up with this. I closed and reopened my doc as a JPEG file instead of PDF and then it did work. Weirdly, I then opened another PDF file and it DID work on that one.

Whatever.

I'm going to just get out the stone tools and do my project the old fashioned way. To me, graphic imaging has been an Ubuntu let-down. Both GIMP and Krita strike me as cumbersome and counterintuitive. Maybe they are good for graphic design pros, but for ordinary dudes who just want to do occasional image editing, they are not very useful programs. One of MSoft's best little programs, in my opin, is MS Paint; I would love it if there was an Ubuntu equivalent.

Chronon
June 29th, 2009, 11:38 PM
If you're looking for a simple paint program you could try GNU paint. It seems to have most of the basic tools and a few filters too.

sudo apt-get install gpaint

mpennell
June 30th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Thanks! I did that-- got gnu paint -- seems to be what I was looking for.