PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Printer, All Jobs Held

ftabor
June 29th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Suddenly, all my print jobs are being "Held Until Evening" in the "Documents Print Status" box and I have to manually release them. This ain't good. Something has changed this recently and I don't know why. I can't find anything in any of the printer properties.

I'm using a network printer attached to a hub, (home network) and it has been running fine. I think I saw a cups system update in the last day or two but I can't be sure.

I ran the troubleshooter, and the first line of the file is, "scheduler not running". The troubleshooting file is attached.

I know zero about the cups system, other than it works automagically, when it works. Thanks for any assistance.

Edit: Well, after hours of searching, I finally found in the /etc/cups/printers.conf the line "Option job-hold-until evening". I commented it out and restarted cups, and now all is well. This option does not appear in the printer property settings anywhere. As near as I can tell, it's a command line option one can set to control print times. I can find nowhere in any of the printer dialogue boxes to set this option.

dsiddens
January 8th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Helo ftaber,

Under Ubuntu 9.10

If you open System>Adminstration>Printing.
Double click your printer, select Job Options, then under Common Options hit >More.
Select from "Hold until" what you want.

Doug

ftabor
January 8th, 2010, 01:39 AM
If you would reread my post, you'll see that what you posted was not my problem, and I marked the problem solved 6 months ago with the proper solution.

audiomick
January 8th, 2010, 01:48 AM
But dsiddens did explain a GUI solution for this

As near as I can tell, it's a command line option one can set to control print times. I can find nowhere in any of the printer dialogue boxes to set this option.
There is also a "no hold" option there, which would make the same change to /etc/cups/printers.conf that you made by editing, I would think ;)

ftabor
January 8th, 2010, 01:52 AM
If I remember correctly, this was set to "No Hold". In the conf file it was set to Evening and no amount of resetting the options would change it. I ended up having to edit the file manually to change it.